13699Re: [tracker2] Digi Question

    Mar 11, 2012
      On Sun, Mar 11, 2012 at 10:13 AM, Keith VE7GDH <ve7gdh@...> wrote:

      > But WHY is it beaconing with a path of WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1???

      C'mon Keith... you're being nasty now... he only asked about the
      digipeat aliases... 8)

      > You said yourself that it is on one of the highest mountains in
      > Arkansas. It will trigger every fill-in digi out to the horizon!
      > Consider instead a one hop WIDE2-1.

      The T2 can use alternate paths, so you could reduce your impact on the
      RF network by alternating between WIDE2-1 and an empty outgoing path.

      > With a high  digi nearby, consider a one hop WIDE2-1 for your
      > iGate too.

      3 hops is a little on the long side for sure.

      Sending a repeater object from your home station is less efficient
      than sending it from the digipeater. Especially when you are sending
      the repeater object out via 3 hops. Tunable voice repeater objects
      should only be sent out as far as the repeater can be accessed.
      There's no use in advertising the local repeater 200 miles outside of
      it's coverage area. You can create a script in the T2 to send voice
      repeater objects directly from the digipeater. Since the repeater you
      are advertising is located quite close to the digipeater, if you can
      see the voice repeater object on the screen of your APRS station, you
      probably can work it.

      ;442.425-R*030027z3458.72N/09419.35Wm442.425 +

      The information you are sending is contradictory... the object name
      indicates that the repeater has a negative offset, but the comment
      text at the end seems to be indicating a positive offset.

      There should be a few minor changes to make it a permanent object for
      transmission from the digipeater.

      Here's the information we have about the repeater:

      Of course the information here shows the repeater in the town of
      Greenwood, whereas the location from the object being sent places it
      in the bush on a hill about 3 miles from the WD5MHZ digipeater, which
      is near a site that has towers on the hilltop.

      With the voice repeater spec in hand...

      BTEXT ;FFF.FFxyz*111111zDDMM.hhN/DDDMM.hhWrTnnn RXXm NETxxxxxx
      MTGxxxxx .........

      Where ;FFF.FFxyz is the frequency, and "xyz" are optional local unique
      or ;FFF.FF5yz for 5 KHz repeaters and "yz" is one of over 3600
      unique characters A-z, 0-9
      or Example "xyz"s might be -IA for Iowa, -A for Atlanta, *SD
      for SanDiego, etc
      Where *111111z is the pseudo default null Date-Time field for the OBJECT format
      Where DDMM.hhN/DDDMM.hhWr is the LAT/LONG and "r" symbol for a voice repeater
      Where Tnnn is the tone in Hz (without tenths) and RXXm is the range in Miles
      Where Netxxxxxx is the local weekly net time (if any)
      Where Mtgyyyyy is the monthly club meeting time (if any)
      Where ... are 9 more bytes of optional text that will not be displayed
      on most mobiles but are visible on other clients

      There are a few things to change...

      ;442.425+R*111111z3458.72N/09419.35WrT136 R40m WD5MHZ

      Changed items:

      Positive offset
      Permanent object timestamp
      Icon is a repeater (Unless your repeater actually does Mic-E decoding)
      Added CTCSS tone information
      Added callsign of the repeater

      Here's a script that will send voice repeater objects every 10
      minutes. You can easily vary the time interval to suite your desires.

      On Second
      Increment Counter 1
      If Counter 1 = 1800
      Exec "BEA ;442.425+R*111111z3458.72N/09419.35WrT136 R40m WD5MHZ"
      Set Counter 1 = 0
      End Block
      End Block

      > No fixed station should use WIDE1-1. A digi should never use
      > WIDE1-1. Nothing that flies should use WIDE1-1...

      I'll second that!

      > Why does it have WD5MHZ in the beacon comment? It's already in
      > MYCALL. You could shorten the beacons even further by enabling
      > compressed beacons.

      That could be useful if he was running a tactical alias that better
      described the location of the digipeater, such as HRTFRD. The use of
      tactical aliases makes it easier to visualize the placement of the
      digipeaters. It is much easier to pair HRTFRD with the town of
      Hartford than it is to pair WD5MHZ-1 with Hartford.

      When running a tactical alias, it is important to send position
      reports every 10 minutes in the USA to fulfill the FCC ID requirement
      as your callsign is embedded in the comment section of the position
      reports. With alternating paths of WIDE2-1 and <empty> going every 10
      minutes, you'll end up with less network impact than your current
      WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1 network clogging path every 20 minutes.

      PS. Sorry, but Keith and I as well as a number of others from the
      NWAPRS group have been optimizing digipeater settings for well over a
      decade. We're a little fanatical, but squeezing every little bit of
      performance out of the digipeaters is fun for us. As a side effect,
      your local APRS RF network will work better.
    • Show all 24 messages in this topic