13597Re: [tracker2] Re: Nuvi 1490 + FMI-15 + T2-135 = Works!

  • Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr)
    Feb 3, 2012
      On 2/3/2012 7:10 AM, vk2ben wrote:
      > I have been using the Nuvi 350 with the Alinco DR-135T, and it's been great, but the '350 is pretty old and low-fi. The lo-def screen is embarrassing when compared to any current smartphones and is a bit sluggish too.

      I've been running 2 Nuvi350s for years now, one in KJ4OVQ-9 (T2-135) and
      the other in KJ4ERJ-9 (an OT2m). They've been good and I have really
      enjoyed them. But when I got a serious deal on the 1490 before
      Christmas, I had to make the leap. However...

      > Looks like you can stop the breadcrumb issue, but does that mean that you lose the showing of Waypoints altogether? The whole point of this for me is to see other APRS objects whilst driving around.

      Yes, it means I've turned off visibility to the outside world. I hope
      to play with turning it back on next week for a bit, but totally expect
      the breadcrumbs to render it worthless. In these two installations, the
      tracking is important as is the bi-directional messaging. I use
      APRSISCE/32 to see what's around.

      Which is my ultimate solution to the local awareness. I've got a
      Bluetooth to serial adapter connected to the PC port on the OT2m so that
      I can lash up APRSISCE on my cellphone when I'm in the vehicle (it's my
      son's car, but my daughter's driving it for now). That's really why
      it's an OT2m and not a T2-135 (which has but the single GPS port coming
      out the back connector).

      > Messaging is not important to me as nobody seems to use it in Australia. Barely anybody integrates APRS into their GPS either, so they wouldn't even know they have received a message, let alone have facility to send any.

      Tracking works, seeing what else is around is nice, but messaging across
      the planet rules! Both ends of the conversation need to be in good
      coverage range of a properly configured IGate, but when it works, it's
      really fun.

      > Please let us know, in case it would be worthwhile investing in a '1490

      I'll report back here after I play with the waypoints and see how bad it
      is. I'm assuming it'll be pretty bad.