13596Re: Nuvi 1490 + FMI-15 + T2-135 = Works!

  • vk2ben
    Feb 3, 2012
      Lynn,

      I'd be very interested to hear how this works out for you.

      I have been using the Nuvi 350 with the Alinco DR-135T, and it's been great, but the '350 is pretty old and low-fi. The lo-def screen is embarrassing when compared to any current smartphones and is a bit sluggish too.

      Looks like you can stop the breadcrumb issue, but does that mean that you lose the showing of Waypoints altogether? The whole point of this for me is to see other APRS objects whilst driving around.

      Messaging is not important to me as nobody seems to use it in Australia. Barely anybody integrates APRS into their GPS either, so they wouldn't even know they have received a message, let alone have facility to send any.

      Please let us know, in case it would be worthwhile investing in a '1490

      73,
      Ben VK2BEN

      --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr)" <ldeffenb@...> wrote:

      > I just soldered up the connectors on my FMI-15 cable, plugged it in to
      > the Nuvi 1490 and T2-135, powered it all up and it works! I told the
      > T2-135 to WAYPOINT OFF so I don't get the breadcrumbs, but I can send
      > and receive messages via the 1490. And one nice feature is that when
      > you read an incoming message, there's a Reply button that you can hit
      > which takes you directly to composing an outbound message. Nice!
      >
      > The maiden voyage is tomorrow when my wife goes out on errands and the
      > big trip is coming up on Sunday when the whole APRS gang goes north for
      > a week. I haven't decided which all gadgets will be going, but there's
      > almost certain to be multiple trackers!
      >
      > Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Nuvi1490/T2-135 as KJ4OVQ-9

    • Show all 10 messages in this topic