      T2s and OT2ms don't use the message-capable datatype in their packets.  But APRSISCE/32 will let you send a message (via Message / Send Message) to any station that you specify.  And once you've done that once, that/those station(s) will have Send Message in their popup menu whenever they're on your map.

      The TT4 has a configuration setting to say that it is message capable, which you're supposed to set if you attach a local keyboard and display, but to my knowledge the Tracker2 family doesn't have that option (yet).

      It'd be really sweet if it changed the datatype to say message capable if it detected that it was speaking (and hearing) FMI on the GPS port, but I haven't asked for that firmware change yet either.

      On 2/2/2012 12:03 PM, Fred Hillhouse wrote:
      Hmm, the station does not "look" message capable from my perspective.

      Best regards,
      Fred, N7FMH

      From: tracker2@yahoogroups.com [mailto:tracker2@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr)
      Sent: Wednesday, February 01, 2012 21:50
      To: tracker2@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [tracker2] Nuvi 1490 + FMI-15 + T2-135 = Works!

      I just soldered up the connectors on my FMI-15 cable, plugged it in to
      the Nuvi 1490 and T2-135, powered it all up and it works! I told the
      T2-135 to WAYPOINT OFF so I don't get the breadcrumbs, but I can send
      and receive messages via the 1490. And one nice feature is that when
      you read an incoming message, there's a Reply button that you can hit
      which takes you directly to composing an outbound message. Nice!

      The maiden voyage is tomorrow when my wife goes out on errands and the
      big trip is coming up on Sunday when the whole APRS gang goes north for
      a week. I haven't decided which all gadgets will be going, but there's
      almost certain to be multiple trackers!

      Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Nuvi1490/T2-135 as KJ4OVQ-9

    • Show all 10 messages in this topic