13442Re: [tracker2] Re: Digipeating Issues

    Jan 8, 2012
      On Sun, Jan 8, 2012 at 6:17 PM, John Belsize <qp2trz@...> wrote:

      > >If you are preempting on ALIAS in the OT2, then you won't get
      > >digipeated by the conventional digipeaters as the conventional
      > >digipeater aliases are before the preempted digipeat alias.
      >
      > Doesn't this cut down on redundant traffic? The portable made it to the
      > car and the car made it to an I-Gate.

      Well, previously you said that the car makes it to the towers... I
      didn't realize that your local digipeater was also an i-gate. If you
      only need a single hop to get to your desired destination, then
      perhaps a path of WIDE2-1,VA3GOC-1 in the portable would be better.
      The car will preempt as long as it is running and can hear the
      portable. When the portable is in range of the main digipeaters,
      you'll be digipeated by them, and then by your car.

      > >That second acknowledgement was probably from a main digipeater
      > >somewhere that DID hear you. If you are using preemptive digipeating,
      > >none of the other digipeaters will respond once the ALIAS digipeater
      > >acts upon the packet.
      >
      > Understood.
      > So what I heard was the car digipeating me then a main digipeater digipeating me,
      > with the main digipeater (Which is an I-gate) acknowledging  my packet directly.
      > That shouldn't have happened? Because it was transmitted immediately after the car digipeated me?

      The packet from the main digipeater was digipeating what it heard
      directly, not what it heard via your car.

      Again, looking at the packets will show you what's happening:

      I've cut most of the stuff out that we aren't interested in, to focus
      on what we are interested in...

      VA3GOC>T3TT1U,WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1,TINYFD,qAR,VE3LSR-4:

      This first one shows us the outgoing path you are using,
      WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1,TINYFD. The qAR,VE3LSR-4 shows us who heard you and
      gated you to the internet.

      VA3GOC>T3TT1U,WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1,VA3GOC-1*,qAR,VE3LSR-4:

      In this one, you can see that the TT2 acted upon the TINYFD alias,
      inserting it's own callsign before the packet was gated to the
      internet. Be aware that some TNCs will show a * after each used up
      path, while others only show the * after the last used up alias. It
      doesn't matter a whole lot, as any path element to the left of the
      last * is considered used. Since there are no path elements after
      VA3GOC-1*, there will be no more hops.

      VA3GOC>T3TT1U,VE3REK,WIDE1,WIDE2-1,VA3GOC-1*,qAR,VE3LSR-4:

      With this packet you can see that VE3REK acted upon the packet, and
      then VA3GOC-1 acted upon it using preemption to skip the WIDE2-1 hop
      request.

      You're really hitting the APRS network pretty hard... each time you
      have been active in the last couple days, you've pumped over 60
      packets per hour into the network, and your speed has only been
      recorded at a maximum of 6 km/h... Your vehicle is even worse with
      upwards of 100 packets per hour for many hours, with over 50 packet
      per hour for 24 hours.

      You're not going to make many friends like that. Also, try keeping
      your packets as short as possible. Long packets take up a lot of
      airtime. Putting long comments that don't mean anything to anyone or
      provide any useful information again just waste airtime that others
      could be using.

      Remember to play nice with the rest of the kids in the sandbox, and
      share the toys available.

      > >Don't guess at this stuff, LOOK at the packets you are sending around,
      > >and see what happens to them as they are handled.
      >
      > What I expected was more second acknowledgements as I proceeded
      > closer to the main digipeater.
      > Because I received only one I started wondering if adding the alias at
      > the end of the path made the main digipeaters ignore me.

      If the main digis can hear you directly, they will digipeat you, but
      if they hear you only after being digipeated by your car, there's not
      next hop request, so they don't digipeat you.

      The better solution is to have the car set up as a digipeater, and
      change the outgoing path in the portable to use the car alias as the
      first hop when you want to bounce through the car.

      If you were around here with those beacon rates, and were not willing
      to reduce the abusive rates, I'd be working to make all my digipeaters
      ignore your stations in order to try and allow the digipeater network
      to survive. If you truly need to know that your vehicle is parked in
      your driveway every 30 seconds, you really need to look at building
      your own digipeater network on a separate frequency, and leave 144.390
      for the hundreds of other users that use reasonable rates.

      I'm not trying to be a pain, but your stations are hogging the
      resources in a seriously abusive manner.

      Packet rate: 27 seconds between packets on average during 1357 seconds.
      This station is transmitting packets at a high rate, which can cause
      congestion in the APRS network.

      http://aprs.fi/info/graphs/a/VA3GOC-1
      http://aprs.fi/info/graphs/a/VA3GOC

      Please think about others when setting up your station.