13402Re: [tracker2] tracker2 working but not igate

    Jan 2, 2012
      On Jan 1, 2012, at 11:12 PM, Robert Lane <kb8zxe@...> wrote:

      So from the sounds of it my VX8GR is working fine.  AB8ZJ appears to be working fine for other mobiles and fixed stations.  I was picking up the other stations digipeated packets from AB8ZJ as well.  What is keeping AB8ZJ from dumping my packets to the internet.  I believe he is running UIview32 as a digi and an Igate.  I should have tried changing the path on my HT but I was running WIDE1-1 (only).

      Your VX8GR is most likely operating properly. As to how you have determined that AB8ZJ is operating properly remains to be seen. It is picking up some of the packets from other stations in the area, but obviously having issues with at least your station.

      Have a look at what the station is able to hear directly…

      Then compare that to what it is gating with the help of other stations hearing the packets first…

      The station gates a lot more than it hears direct. Obviously there's a lot of traffic over towards Duluth that gets gated, but the station should be able to hear stuff happening in it's own backyard.

      It's hard to get a good idea of the traffic in the local area versus gated traffic with the start of a new month resetting counters. It will take some time and local observation to get a really good grasp on what's happening, but then you see these types of things happening, one of the first things to look at is TX and RX levels. Since the issue is with AB8ZJ hearing you when other stations hear you fine, one needs to look at AB8ZJ to see if that station is set up properly on receive. Another reason might be that he's using a really poor antenna. If the station can only hear really strong stations, then your low powered HT might not have been hitting him with enough power.

      Of course all of this could be wrong due to being based on the only data available to me, which is highly filtered by the APRS-IS anti-dupe filters.

      The issue is not with the OT2 which can hear you fine, but rather with the other station that can not hear you.

    • Show all 8 messages in this topic