12685Re: [tracker2] Re: PC to OT2 Serial Connection

  • doc@kd4e.com
    Jul 3 10:17 AM
      Based on the recommendations here I created the equivalent of
      a 3-wire null modem cable (think of it as a null modem adapter
      in-line with a straight-thru cable).

      The two cables together are functionally the equivalent of either
      a single null modem cable, or the equivalent of a straight-thru
      cable with a null modem adapter.

      QUESTION1: If you had a straight-thru cable and added a null
      modem adapter, would you place the adapter at the Tracker2/OT2M
      end or the PC end - or does it matter?

      DETAIL: Does the laptop need to interface with Pin 2 as Pin 2
      even though at some point along the cable it becomes Pin 3 at
      the Tracker2/OT2M, and Pin 3 as Pins 3 even thought it becomes
      Pin 2 even though at some point along the cable it becomes Pin 2
      at the Tracker2/OT2M? (My instinct says it should not matter.)

      QUESTION2: Is there any good reason to believe that the handshaking
      wiring shown on the tracker2 Yahoo site - only at the PC end - will
      make a difference - or is it "who knows, try it and see if it works"?

      --

      Thanks! & 73, KD4E
      David Colburn http://kd4e.com