12150Re: [tracker2] Re: T2-301 serial port connection and otwincfg

  • Keith VE7GDH
    Mar 10, 2011
      Steve (callsign?) wrote...

      > does anyone have a recommendation for good beginner-level COM
      > port troubleshooting software?

      I don't have anything for testing a com port, other than a "RS-232 mini
      tester" ($10 well spent) but do you have a GPS receiver that you could
      connect to the com port? You could look at it with a terminal program,
      or you could download something like VisualGPS. Even better, do you
      have software for uploading anything to a GPS receiver? You could test
      it in both directions if you could try uploading to and downloading from
      the GPS.

      Of course, you could try connecting the T2-301 to a terminal program
      too. Select the com port, and 4800 N81 if you haven't ever changed the
      speed on the serial port in the T2-301.

      For anyone having trouble getting a device to talk to a computer, it's
      a matter of determining what the problem is. It can be broken down into
      five components. It can either be...

      * the device itself is somehow "broken"
      * the device doesn't have power
      * a problem with the cable
      * a problem with the com port
      * a problem with the software

      Some things can be proven with a VOM. Others can be determined with
      substitution... try another device, try another cable, try another com port
      or even one on another computer, or use different software. In the case of
      the T2-301, you are limited to otwincfg.exe or a terminal program.

      73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH