12146Re: T2-301 serial port connection and otwincfg

  • seerdman
    Mar 9, 2011
      Okay, here's the latest...

      Larry K7YBZ suggested close inspection of the T2 innards. I did find that the crystal can is in fine shape - not glued down, but the leads are intact and the can is laying against the board. The OT board was not sitting fully into the main board connectors, so I pressed that down fully. I have to get really nitpicky to point out a couple of solder joints that are light on solder. I'm not even sure the difference would show up in a photo, but one is on the DE-9 connector and the other on the center lead of the BNC pin. The black casing of the DE-9 looks like it may have gotten a little too close to a hot iron, but nothing major at all. I was most hoping that the loose OT board would solve my issue, but it didn't and I think Scott and others who've suggested a COM port issue are on the right track. After rebooting, I'm still not getting an errror message or response from otwincfg.

      Not being a PC expert, does anyone have a recommendation for good beginner-level COM port troubleshooting software? I'm a total newbie to all this and apologize for the handholding, but I'm assuming I need software that will tell me if the port's available and let me send and receive commands (not sure what those commands are for the T2). I'm running Windows XP.

      Thanks again everyone.

      > If you're getting the "can't open serial port" error, it's not even
      > getting as far as opening the port to listen for the tracker to reset.
      > Usually that means something else has the port open, maybe a dead copy
      > of otwincfg, but that shouldn't happen (at least, not as much) with
      > current versions.
      >
      > Scott
      >
      > On 3/8/2011 10:49 AM, seerdman wrote:
      > > Yep, closed the Delorme software to release the com port, and also
      > > rebooted. After I rebooted and went through the sequence, I got a "Can't
      > > open serial port" error message. I also tried running the program with
      > > the "reload firmware" option checked, although I was loathe to do so.
      > > Same result - no response from the program after resetting the T2-301.
      > >
      > > I also tried the sequence this morning on a different PC. It just
      > > doesn't ever seem to be recognizing that I've reset the T2.
      > >
      > > I don't have an OT with another cable that I could try, but I'm
      > > certainly not opposed to just building a cable as an alternate to the
      > > Argent one. It would just be good to have a complete end-to-end
      > > schematic to follow - from the T2 pins to PC port pins, including the
      > > null modem adapter. It would also be great to know what signal levels I
      > > should be seeing where.
      > >
      > > I did pop the lid, and other than a loose screw holding down the PCB, I
      > > couldn't see anything wrong. Didn't want to mess with it too much.
      > >
      > > Thanks for the reply, Keith!

      > > "Keith VE7GDH" <ve7gdh@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Steve (callsign?) wrote...

      > > checked), click Connect
      > > of otwincfg window
      > > No error messages
      > > >
      > > > Presumably, you closed the Delorme software to release the com port.
      > > >
      > > > From an earlier message, you said that you had checked the null modem
      > > cable. Do
      > > > you have e.g. an OT1+ that you could try with the serial cable / null
      > > modem cables
      > > > that you are using? If you don't, try connecting two computers to see
      > > if you can
      > > > "talk" between them with terminal programs.
      > > >
      > > > Have you checked the Argent power/serial cable? I don't recall
      > > hearing about
      > > > any bad ones.
      > > >
      > > > If you can't find the problem elsewhere, perhaps it's time to start
      > > checking the
      > > > T2-301 itself. It's only a few screws to pop the lid.
      > > >
      > > > Are there any other T2-301 users near Steve? A T2-301 or cable swap or
      > > > someone else's com port might pin it down.
      > > >
      > > > 73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH
      > > > --
      > > > "I may be lost, but I know exactly where I am!"

    • Show all 16 messages in this topic