12083Re: T2-301 serial port connection and otwincfg

  • seerdman
    Mar 2, 2011
      Thanks for the reply! I've bumped the power supply up to a solid 15V and am still having the same result. I'm leaning now towards a problem with my null modem cable. I notice that in the Files section of this forum there are diagrams for a 3-wire null modem lead and a 5-wire null modem lead. Should I be using one over the other? If anyone has a full-blown schematic that shows the entire connection path between the T2-301 and a PC serial port and includes the yellow-to-black Argent serial connector, as well as the null modem wiring, that would really rock my world. :o)

      - Steve

      --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "pb648174" <yahoo@...> wrote:

      > I wouldn't transmit without an antenna and would also try it with 12V. If you have the yellow/black cable then you should be able to hook it right up to the computer and send it commands via a terminal program and see responses.
      >
      > --- In tracker2@yahoogroups.com, "seerdman" <seerdman@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hello,
      > >
      > > I have a new T2-301 and am trying to get it configured. I've gone through the troubleshooting FAQ and this forum, and am trying to figure out what I've missed. Here's what I've tried so far:
      > >
      > > - Confirmed that COM1 is the correct port by connecting my Garmin GPS to it and running my Topo software that allows me to select a COM port. The Garmin successfully sends coordinates to the PC.
      > >
      > > - Using the latest release of otwincfg
      > >
      > > - tried wiring pins 2 and 3 of the T2-301 to pins 3 and 2 of the PC (per the FAQ), and also pins 2 and 3 of the T2-301 straight to pins 2 and 3 of the PC (per June 2010 schematic posted on the forum). Ground is running to pin 4 on the T2-301 and pin 5 on the PC. Nothing else is connected.
      > >
      > > - I'm using the Argent serial power cable for the T2-301 with the yellow connector on one end, and the black connector on the other. Yellow connector is connected to the T2-301. Then using a null modem adaptor that provides the connections described above. It is about 4 feet long, but I've continuity tested the connections from end to end.
      > >
      > > - I'm using a 9V DC supply (AC wall adapter) rated for 600ma output, and it's measuring at 10.3V while connected.
      > >
      > > - I have a steady red power light while power is connected, with occasional flashes of the green light indicating reception
      > >
      > > - I've tried disabling turbo mode
      > >
      > > - I've tried starting otwincfg both with the unit already on and with the unit off to start
      > >
      > > - I've tried with the antenna both connected or disconnected
      > >
      > > - Tried resetting the unit multiple times (removing and reconnecting power). If I do this multiple times very quickly I'll get a communication error message.
      > >
      > > Any other troubleshooting tips would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

    • Show all 16 messages in this topic