11745Re: OpenTracker USB released

  • Greg
    Jan 6, 2011

      What was the design goal for this product as it is going off a little different than your past devices?

      One of my fustrations was that since the Garmin Nuvi 350 it has been hard to know how the newer products FMI (fleet management) works with the OT2. I like the function of being able to use one device, ie the Nuvi 350, to do GPS plus then displaying where the units were on the map. It was nice not to have to use a laptop.

      I guess I am looking for something that is more intergrated: TNC, radio and display. I know that Kenwood pushes this with the AVmap products. This is mostly for a mobile application. Home is different with a stand alone TNC and radio. But then the home station has more resources.

      What is the on the drawing board, so to speak?

      N9NWO

      > I'm pleased to announce that the new OpenTracker USB is now shipping!
      >
      > https://www.argentdata.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=148
      > http://wiki.argentdata.com/index.php/OpenTracker_USB
      >
      > The new tracker is basically a Tracker2 without the digipeater and
      > Garmin protocol functions, but with a full-speed USB port that can be
      > used for configuration, command prompt access, and KISS mode,
      > independent of the two regular serial ports.
      >
      > This means you get remote control capability, a TNC2-style command
      > prompt, scripting, weather station support, KISS mode, and the ability
      > to do all of this simultaneously without reloading the firmware.
      >
      > There's also space inside for a GT-525 GPS receiver module, and we'll be
      > offering that with the appropriate jumper a little later as an option.
      >
      > Demodulation is software-based, and significantly improved over the
      > OpenTracker+ - in our testing, it's been very close to MX614-based TNCs
      > in decode performance.
      >
      > Because of the surface mount construction we won't be offering this one
      > as a kit. We'll still be offering the OpenTracker+ as a kit as long as
      > we're able to get the parts, but the assembled version will be phased
      > out in favor of the new design.
      >
      > USB support has been tested with Windows 2000/XP, Mac OS X, and Linux.
      > We'll be adding INF files for Vista and Windows 7 shortly, but it shows
      > up as a generic USB CDC device so drivers are included with the
      > operating system.
      >
      > Documentation is still sparse, but the wiki has the critical
      > information. Nearly all of the information in the Tracker2 manual
      > applies, with the exception of the digipeater and Garmin sections. The
      > OTUSB manual should be published by this weekend.
      >
      > We've got units ready to ship now, and more on the way, so there's still
      > time to put it on your Christmas list!
      >
      > 73,
      >
      > Scott
      > N1VG