1150Re: [tracker2] TS2000 vs OT2

  • Clay Jackson
    Nov 4, 2006
      Good points - turns out were kinda screwed on this anyway.  I got a look at a Service Manual (online) last nite; and, from what I could tell (I wasn't able to bring up the board pictorials, but did look at the schematic and the component lists) the TNC is actually a two chip set installed on the main logic board.   So, it would take a fair amount of hardware hacking to replace 'em anyway; and then, as you point out, the firmware would probably still be an issue.

      Oh, well - it was a thought...

      Clay
      N7QNM

      On Nov 1, 2006, at 9:56 PM, James Ewen wrote:

      On 11/2/06, Clay Jackson <clayj@...> wrote:
      The firmware will definitely need addressing; but, I'm guessing that it's pretty simple, because the 'Kenwood' commands look real similar to the 'Tasco' commands documented in the Alinco manual.

      The commands look similar because they are the same units.

      My guess is that all they REALLY do is pass the inputs from the serial port on to the TASCO, and perhaps generate a few commands from the radio firmware to handle the front panel functions like setting baud rate and so on.

      That is where the problem lies. If you are going to replace the TNC in the Kenwood, it has to respond to the commands that are sent from the Kenwood user interface firmware. Unless , of course, you are going to ignore most of the radio, and only use the TNC and one transmitter and receiver.

      I would suggest that if you are looking to do the latter, it would be cheaper to buy an Alinco, especially if you are looking to do so with a TS-2000.