11000Re: [tracker2] Re: OT2m in permanent digipeater

  • Keith VE7GDH
    Aug 10, 2010
      Charly OE3KLU wrote...

      > OT2M has nice functions that made a Digi operation easy... but if
      > you have a lot of traffic like me up on over 5900 Feet an listen and
      > transmit around ~ 250 miles (400 km) away it stop working when
      > RX Buffer overrun...

      If the RX buffer overruns, perhaps that is something Scott could fix...
      e.g. every 30 seconds delete oldest packet that it is holding onto, or
      it could have a "high digi" mode where it will temporarily turn off
      carrier detect if it detects the buffer is full so it could go ahead and
      transmit, but you wouldn't want the buffer to be so large that it stored
      packets older than 30 seconds or so.

      If the frequency is busy enough at your 5900 foot site, perhaps the
      real solution is to move the digi to a lower elevation. As the APRS
      frequency gets busier in some locations, we may have to move the
      high digis down to lower locations like cell sites and just have a
      few more of them. Alternatively, you could leave your high digi
      at 5900 feet, but use a non-standard alias so that it would be available
      to people that had a reason to try and send a packet 800 km... e.g.from
      up to 400 km on one side of the digi to 400 km on the other side of it).
      Of course, with it that high, if the frequency was busy, the chances of
      it successfully hearing that particular beacon would be low. High
      voice repeaters are great. Only one person talks at a time, but high
      digis (at least using generic aliases) really only work where the
      frequency is relatively quiet.

      With it being an OT2m, you could remotely enable the standard
      locally used alias if it was ever needed.

      73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH