10794RE: [tracker2] Balloon launch

  • Fred Hillhouse
    Jun 25, 2010
      Hi Scott,

      Thanks for the trip! I enjoyed it! I just wish I could have been there too.

      It looked like you recovered the first flight here: 34°29'19" N 116°49'12"
      W. Apparently this was the spot: 34°47'4" N 117°7'41" W. I didn't see the
      point on APRS.FI but I did see it on APRSIS32. Next flight I will have to
      create a log file.

      I watched the flight that ended up east of Barstow: 34°56'55" N 116°25'55"
      W. About the point you parked and hiked, I went to bed and was hoping you
      might go for recovery in the AM. When I saw your return time, I figured you
      recovered it. Late night out!

      By the, you did not send enough beacons for us armchairs chasers!!!!! ;)

      I was reminded of when I lived in Barstow. It was back in the 60s and we
      lived there 2-3 years. I also remembered the Mojave Rattlesnake. My father
      caught one and we took it to the San Diego zoo.

      Funny thing, when I lived in Salt Lake City, friends and family here in the
      east were afraid we would be bit by a rattlesnake. In the 12 years I lived
      there, I only saw one in the wild and it was up on the bench in among the
      homes there. And, we camped, hiked, etc a lot, too. I like snakes.

      I am looking forward to reading your blog update! I hope you have pictures
      of the terrain you decided to walk across. I did the hard-core trails in
      Moab UT and was wondering what you were up against.

      Best regards,
      Fred