1069Re: [tracker2] NSR support?

  • Curt, WE7U
    Sep 29, 2006
      On Fri, 29 Sep 2006, Jason Winningham wrote:

      > If I understand things correctly, doesn't the "preemptive" flag on the
      > T2 digi config indicate that I can do something like preemptive digi on
      > a call of SAR and use
      >
      > WIDE1-1,WIDE2-2,SAR7-7
      >
      > so that it'll use the normal infrastructure or any special SAR even
      > digis that are up, if they're doing preemptive? The special event
      > digis could ignore WIDE and focus the traffic on the SAR paths, but a
      > tracker would still get in if it happened to hit a WIDE before it hit a
      > SAR.

      Yes. But now you've added 7 bytes per callsign, three times, for a
      total of 21 bytes added to the packet header. That's an extra
      17.5ms we could get rid of if we had no path at all.

      Yea, the preemptive digipeating would probably work well.

      > Or is that the problem you're trying to solve?

      Kind'a. It wouldn't be a bad idea at all to have the SAR units be
      able to use the existing APRS infrastructure, and I posted with that
      in mind up until my last post or two.

      If however the SAR network was a self-contained ad-hoc network all
      to its own and didn't strictly _need_ the APRS digipeaters, then we
      could shorten the packets greatly by doing away with the path and
      doing our own thing with the destination callsign slot.

      Even in this case it might be good for the SAR trackers to send to
      "WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1" on the way to the search area, but then the path
      could be truncated at the first SAR digi encountered, or one could
      reconfigure all of the SAR trackers for the correct path as they
      enter/exit the woods (remotely configure via a program at base?).

      Heck, they could listen for a broadcast from the BASE unit and
      change their path based on that. During a mission the path
      recommended might be "". When the mission is over, BASE tells them
      to go to a path of "WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1". Or just have the tracker set
      up to change to an alternate path if within XX miles of some
      pre-defined callsign.

      I know I'm dreaming a bit, and Scott hasn't jumped in here and said
      anything on it. Thanks for letting us hijack the list for a bit!