Re: [triceriders] Re: Toe in checking/ measuring photos posted

  • Thorsten Ruffle-Brandt
    Message 1 of 6 , May 4, 2008
      On 4 May 2008, at 17:56, correctionalrn wrote:
      > In your photographs, it looks like you're measuring
      > only the front. How does one get toe-in that way.

      One photo is from the front, one is from the back, as far as I can tell.
    • bentonerecumbent
      Message 2 of 6 , May 4, 2008
        Yes, you are correct, you take the measurment on the back side of the
        tires, and then compare it to the measurement on the front side. The
        pictures only show the tool in the front position. Sorry if I
        created confusion. I was just trying to show the construction of the
        tool and its placement.

        Let me run through the procedure.

        First tie, or block, the steering into an absolute straight ahead
        position. It is important that the steering not move. (I used a
        bunge cord from one handle bar, stretched behind the seat, then
        attached to the other handle bar.)

        Put a piece of tape on each tire and mark a + on it. Placement isn't
        too crititcal, just try to get it in the center.

        Place the tool behind the tires, and align the + on each wheel with
        the pointer on each side. (I mounted the upright arms to the bottom
        bar using a slotted angle bracket and wing nuts, so I could just
        loosen it and slide it into alignment with the + then tighten the
        wing nuts.)

        Then move the tool to the front side, rotate the two + marks on the
        tires to the front side and compare the readings.

        It should be zero to very slightly toed in.

        If adjustment is required, loosen the lock nuts on tie rod, on one
        side only, and make a small adjustment. (one nut will be a right
        hand thread, the other will be a left hand thread) A very small
        adjustment will result in a fairly large change in toe. Once adjusted
        lock down the lock nuts and recheck.

        You should be able to do this multiple times and get the exact same
        reading.

        I hope this is now clear. Sorry if I confused everyone.

        Joe

        --- In triceriders@yahoogroups.com, Thorsten Ruffle-Brandt <TRB@...>
        wrote:

        > On 4 May 2008, at 17:56, correctionalrn wrote:
        > > In your photographs, it looks like you're measuring
        > > only the front. How does one get toe-in that way.
        > >

        > One photo is from the front, one is from the back, as far as I can
        tell.

      • Joseph Rogers
        Message 3 of 6 , May 4, 2008
          Well,

          Goes to show you how much I don't know, how little
          attention I pay, or ... Thanks for letting me know.
          I go back and look closer this time.

          Joseph
          --- Thorsten Ruffle-Brandt <TRB@...> wrote:

          > On 4 May 2008, at 17:56, correctionalrn wrote:
          > > In your photographs, it looks like you're
          > measuring
          > > only the front. How does one get toe-in that way.
          > >

          > One photo is from the front, one is from the back,
          > as far as I can tell.

          May I become the person my dog thinks I am.

          Be a better friend, newshound, and
        • Thorsten Ruffle-Brandt
          Message 4 of 6 , May 5, 2008
            Or it just goes to show that I saw what I expected rather than what
            was there - turns out you were right! :-)