Re: [tr-m] Quentin Roosevelt II

  • Tom Peeling
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 27, 2004
      Happy Theodore Roosevelt's birthday to everyone!
      Tom Peeling

      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 27, 2004
        It had been agreed in the family that the first boy born after the
        first Quentin's death would be named Quentin.
        He was a scholar of Chinese art and culture before World War II, and
        his collections are highly valued today by Harvard, where they are, and by
        China.
        This experience gave him a knowledge of China. He returned to China during
        the civil war between the Communists and Nationalists. Quentin was, in fact
        and secretly, an agent of the CIA. He had been recruited for the CIA by his
        cousin Archibald B. Roosevelt, Junior, and Quentin's brother , Cornelius
        Roosevelt, was also in the CIA, as was Kermit Roosevelt, Junior. Four of
        TR's grandsons were in the CIA. The family always thought the plane may have
        been brought down in some way by the Communists. At any rate, he died on
        active duty, a casualty in one way or another to the Cold War. Quentin was
        buried on Basalt Island, where the plane crashed. The island is in Hong Kong
        harbor.
        Interestingly, his daughter Susan (Mrs. Weld) is also a Chinese scholar,
        and has taught Chinese studies at Harvard.
        There is a beautiful cared polychrome plaque to Quentin in Christ
        Church, Oyster Bay, NY. He taught Sunday school there, and his father had
        been superintendent of the Sunday school.
        Frances Webb Roosevelt and their three daughters came to Oyster Bay
        from Shanghai and made their home with Mrs. Theodore Roosevelt, Junior at
        old Orchard. After Mrs. TR, Jr.'s death, they built a handsome little house
        out at the end of Cove Neck, near Cooper's Bluff, where they lived happily
        for many years.
        John Gable