Medal of Honor

  • kamadio@venzie.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 16, 2000
      Is the Army's report recommending the Medal of Honor to TR available
      on line or otherwise?
    • FOURBEAD48@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 21, 2003
        I thought is was somewhat of a serious omission that the circumstances by which TR initially failed to receive the Medal of Honor were not revealed.  The fact that he was intentially overlooked by his army "superiors" due to his typical TR bluster (out of concern for his men) upon returning to Long Island is a significant part of the story.  One of my business colleagues thought that it was curious that TR received the Medal of Honor 100 years later, and that it wasn't explained why it took so long.

        Those of us who wrote our letters to our Congressional representatives also know that Representative McHale and others in the Congress had much more to do with this being corrected than did President Clinton.  I don't mean to turn this into a Clinton bash, but the reference made it sound like it was the work of Mr. Clinton that corrected the injustice.  Not so.

        Vincent Nolan
        Danbury, CT
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 21, 2003
          While Congressman McHale deserves much credit, as does Senator Kent Conrad, and Congressman Rick Lazio (two Democrats and one Republican), for TR receiving the Medal of Honor, I can assure you from personal knowledge that President Clinton did a great deal and that without him the Pentagon would have succeeded in burying the whole thing, regardless of Congress. The Army review board rejected TR's case flatly, and Clinton asked them to look at the case again, ordered them to do so.  Then the Army and Defense tried to drag their feet, and President Clinton, after giving them due time, made them focus on the matter, and ordered that this be done.  McHale, Conrad, Lazio, Clinton, and Tweed Roosevelt, these are the people who deserve most  credit.
          And it is the Commander in Chief  (not Congress or anybody else) who awards the Medal of Honor.
             It would have been interesting, I certainly agree, to discuss why TR did not get the Medal in 1898, and how and why he did in 2001.  Time constraints were at work.  But it's better that they mentioned that he got the Medal rather than not mention it at all.
          It would, however, since all the principals are still around, have been interesting to talk about the fight for the Medal in 1898 and in 1998-2001.  Officially, we don't know why the Army rejected TR in 1898.  How come ?  The files have all been lost ! Deep-sixed is more like it.
              TR becoming President in 1901 closed the case completely. How could TR award himself the Medal, even with Congressional approval ?
          As late as 1912, his war record was questioned in campaigning;and there were many attacks on his war record in the 1997-2001 period. It was a big job to get that Medal.
                      John Gable in Oyster Bay
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 21, 2003
            Thank you, Dr. Gable for correcting me on the involvement of President Clinton in the matter of the Medal of Honor.  I was aware of the involvement of the Congressmen and certainly Tweed Roosevelt, but was unaware the President had interceded to that extent.  While not a fan of his, I always try to be fair in giving due credit for action taken.

            I also understand the limitation of time in programming a television program.  It's somewhat hard to imagine capturing the life of such an active and prolific individual in as little as four television hours.

            Vin Nolan
            Danbury, CT