Re: [tr-m] Medal of Honor

  • CVenutoFl@aol.com
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 10 3:39 PM
      Thank you for the information. This medal of honor has been due for over one
      hundred years and it is unfair to blame the current administration for not
      honoring TR for his valor.
      I hope future information on this site can be less political.

      Charlie Venuto
      President, Emeritus
      Indian River Audubon Society
    • Richard Weintraub
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 10 7:35 PM
        Dear Dr.Gable:Thank You for your prompt response on "Why TR" will not be
        obtaining the well-deserved( "Better Late Then Never") Medal of Honor until
        after the November elections.TR deserves a beeter fate.TR was denied the Medal
        of Honor in 1898 because of "politics" and again in 2000,TR is being denied his
        due one again because of "politics".A few remaining questions.After the November
        election ,do you believe there will be a 'big" event at the White House or
        Oyster Bay giving TR's relatives the due you are owed? and sorry,but- Why do
        some people refer to the Medal as the "Congressional Medal of Honor" instead of
        the "Medal of Honor" ?-Thank You,again-Richard Weintraub

      • Hnlembeck@aol.com
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 11 8:41 AM
          Dr. Gable, I do not blame Congressman Lazio. President Clinton had this on
          his desk before Congressman Lazio decided to run for the Senate. He could
          have done something about it then. Moreover, regardless of whether anyone
          thinks Congressman Lazio's is posturing, he is asking for something that is
          only right, and we all know it is right. To delay action simply to assist
          his wife in her own Senate campaign is, I think, unfortunate.

          Nor do I necessarily blame the Army. I am not persuaded that Army and DOD
          officials in 2000 have the same bitterness over TR's actions, when he was
          openly critical of the Army, as their predecessors did more than one hundred
          years ago. Probably few if any of them are even aware of what happened back
          then. And if they did harbor some residual resentment, why should this deter
          President Clinton from concluding the matter if he agreed with the award?

          Respectfully,

          Harry Lembeck
        • Robert Kuniegel
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 12 4:20 AM
            Dr. Gable and other posters,

            I simply can not believe people are so eager to have Bill Clinton's name always
            mentioned when talking about Theodore Roosevelt's greatest hour. For years now I
            have had to turn off the tv or radio station so I do not get sick from hearing
            his voice and or seeing his face. I know I am not alone in my disgust of the
            sight of this president. Why are some of you so eager to lower the visual image
            TR wanted to paint in the minds of the American people when they think of the
            American Presidency? Billy boy will do this medal of honor promotion in a manner
            that will get him maximum exposure. So do not despair if you are only concerned
            about this year 2000 stupid medal awarded for political purposes, you will get
            it. If you investigate I am sure someone in the military had some pressure from
            the white house to get this done. Think long and hard before you get what you are
            wishing for. TR's life story paints a beautiful picture without inserting a photo
            of a treasonous draft dodging president that let China have our nuclear weapons
            at bargain prices.

            Respectfully
            Robert Kuniegel
            ***********

            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 16 4:38 PM
              Dear Mr. Weintraub:

              Several venues have been discussed for the award of the Medal of Honor to TR
              including the White House and Sagamore Hill, but no decision has been made.
              TR's descendants will definitely be involved. The Medal will ultimately be
              given to the White House as a companion piece to the Nobel Peace Prize.

              Best wishes from Oyster Bay,

              John A. Gable, Ph.D.
              Executive Director TRA_Gable@...
              Theodore Roosevelt Association (516) 921-6319
              P.O. Box 719 FAX: (516) 921-6481
              Oyster Bay, NY 11771-0719 www.theodoreroosevelt.org

              P.S. from Linda Milano,

              The Congressional Medal of Honor was originally granted by Congress, hence
              the name. Today, it is granted by the Army and is known as the Medal of
              Honor (MOH).

              Best wishes from Oyster Bay,

              Linda Milano
              Assistant Director TRA_Milano@...

              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 16 4:49 PM
                To Mr. Lembeck - and Mr. Kuniegel:

                I know for a fact that the Army opposed giving TR the Medal of Honor, and
                that has been the only problem we faced in this whole process. The Army is
                against all historical medal awards in general, and the head of the history
                bureau of the Army thinks TR does not deserve the Medal. It is not true
                that President Clinton had the recommendation on his desk before Mr. Lazio
                decided to run for the Senate. I value Congressman Lazio's support for the
                Medal, and I also value President Clinton's support. President Clinton
                treats the military with great respect, which is why this process has taken
                so long. The Army took advantage of the situation and delayed us as long as
                possible. I just look at the facts, and do not filter reality through the
                distorted lenses of political preconceptions. I have worked with Presidents
                of both parties. For the record, the recommendation arrived at the White
                House in June, and Mr. Lazio immediately attacked Mr. Clinton, as he did
                again in recent days. This accomplished two things. First, the White House
                has publicly stated the Medal will indeed be awarded. Second, it is
                virtually impossible to make the award until after the election, or so I am
                told by most observers, for to do so would look like a surrender to Mr.
                Lazio. We have waited a long time and can wait longer.

              • Hnlembeck@aol.com
                Message 7 of 13 , Aug 17 8:03 AM
                  Dr. Gable:

                  Thank you for taking the time to reply. I appreciate it.

                  I yield to your greater involvement and experience in the matter, and accept
                  your conclusions. Frankly, I was not aware of the institutional resistance
                  by the Army to what they characterize as "historical medals." (I was in the
                  Marine Corps, which has its own historical resistance to the Army and its
                  ways.)

                  However, I continue to think that, regardless of the Army's position, which I
                  again concede I did not appreciate until you brought it to my attention,
                  President Clinton could have insisted on making the award, which he obviously
                  felt was the right thing to do. By delaying, he created a situation that led
                  to Congressman Lazio's making an issue of it, which, in turn, caused further
                  delay in order to assist Mrs. Clinton in her Senate campaign.

                  But, of course, you are right. We've waited a long time. Another few weeks
                  won't hurt.

                  Respectfully and with good wishes.

                  Harry Lembeck
                • TRA