Re: [tr-m] Medal of Honor

  • TRA
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 10, 2000
      Congressman Lazio has attacked Mr. Clinton for not giving TR the Medal, when
      Mr. Lazio knows and we all know that the Army was the problem and the
      barrier. Lazio has repeatedly made these attacks, starting in June,
      therefore making the award of the Medal impossible without looking like a
      public surrender to Mr. Lazio. It is thus likely and understandable why the
      Medal won't come until after the election. The White House has publicly
      stated that the Medal will be awarded to TR.

      Best wishes from Oyster Bay,

      John A. Gable, Ph.D.
      Executive Director TRA_Gable@...
      Theodore Roosevelt Association (516) 921-6319
      P.O. Box 719 FAX: (516) 921-6481
      Oyster Bay, NY 11771-0719 www.theodoreroosevelt.org

      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 10, 2000
        Thank you for the information. This medal of honor has been due for over one
        hundred years and it is unfair to blame the current administration for not
        honoring TR for his valor.
        I hope future information on this site can be less political.

        Charlie Venuto
        President, Emeritus
        Indian River Audubon Society
      • Richard Weintraub
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 10, 2000
          Dear Dr.Gable:Thank You for your prompt response on "Why TR" will not be
          obtaining the well-deserved( "Better Late Then Never") Medal of Honor until
          after the November elections.TR deserves a beeter fate.TR was denied the Medal
          of Honor in 1898 because of "politics" and again in 2000,TR is being denied his
          due one again because of "politics".A few remaining questions.After the November
          election ,do you believe there will be a 'big" event at the White House or
          Oyster Bay giving TR's relatives the due you are owed? and sorry,but- Why do
          some people refer to the Medal as the "Congressional Medal of Honor" instead of
          the "Medal of Honor" ?-Thank You,again-Richard Weintraub

        • Hnlembeck@aol.com
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 11, 2000
            Dr. Gable, I do not blame Congressman Lazio. President Clinton had this on
            his desk before Congressman Lazio decided to run for the Senate. He could
            have done something about it then. Moreover, regardless of whether anyone
            thinks Congressman Lazio's is posturing, he is asking for something that is
            only right, and we all know it is right. To delay action simply to assist
            his wife in her own Senate campaign is, I think, unfortunate.

            Nor do I necessarily blame the Army. I am not persuaded that Army and DOD
            officials in 2000 have the same bitterness over TR's actions, when he was
            openly critical of the Army, as their predecessors did more than one hundred
            years ago. Probably few if any of them are even aware of what happened back
            then. And if they did harbor some residual resentment, why should this deter
            President Clinton from concluding the matter if he agreed with the award?

            Respectfully,

            Harry Lembeck
          • Robert Kuniegel
            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 12, 2000
              Dr. Gable and other posters,

              I simply can not believe people are so eager to have Bill Clinton's name always
              mentioned when talking about Theodore Roosevelt's greatest hour. For years now I
              have had to turn off the tv or radio station so I do not get sick from hearing
              his voice and or seeing his face. I know I am not alone in my disgust of the
              sight of this president. Why are some of you so eager to lower the visual image
              TR wanted to paint in the minds of the American people when they think of the
              American Presidency? Billy boy will do this medal of honor promotion in a manner
              that will get him maximum exposure. So do not despair if you are only concerned
              about this year 2000 stupid medal awarded for political purposes, you will get
              it. If you investigate I am sure someone in the military had some pressure from
              the white house to get this done. Think long and hard before you get what you are
              wishing for. TR's life story paints a beautiful picture without inserting a photo
              of a treasonous draft dodging president that let China have our nuclear weapons
              at bargain prices.

              Respectfully
              Robert Kuniegel
              ***********

              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 16, 2000
                Dear Mr. Weintraub:

                Several venues have been discussed for the award of the Medal of Honor to TR
                including the White House and Sagamore Hill, but no decision has been made.
                TR's descendants will definitely be involved. The Medal will ultimately be
                given to the White House as a companion piece to the Nobel Peace Prize.

                Best wishes from Oyster Bay,

                John A. Gable, Ph.D.
                Executive Director TRA_Gable@...
                Theodore Roosevelt Association (516) 921-6319
                P.O. Box 719 FAX: (516) 921-6481
                Oyster Bay, NY 11771-0719 www.theodoreroosevelt.org

                P.S. from Linda Milano,

                The Congressional Medal of Honor was originally granted by Congress, hence
                the name. Today, it is granted by the Army and is known as the Medal of
                Honor (MOH).

                Best wishes from Oyster Bay,

                Linda Milano
                Assistant Director TRA_Milano@...

                Message 7 of 13 , Aug 16, 2000
                  To Mr. Lembeck - and Mr. Kuniegel:

                  I know for a fact that the Army opposed giving TR the Medal of Honor, and
                  that has been the only problem we faced in this whole process. The Army is
                  against all historical medal awards in general, and the head of the history
                  bureau of the Army thinks TR does not deserve the Medal. It is not true
                  that President Clinton had the recommendation on his desk before Mr. Lazio
                  decided to run for the Senate. I value Congressman Lazio's support for the
                  Medal, and I also value President Clinton's support. President Clinton
                  treats the military with great respect, which is why this process has taken
                  so long. The Army took advantage of the situation and delayed us as long as
                  possible. I just look at the facts, and do not filter reality through the
                  distorted lenses of political preconceptions. I have worked with Presidents
                  of both parties. For the record, the recommendation arrived at the White
                  House in June, and Mr. Lazio immediately attacked Mr. Clinton, as he did
                  again in recent days. This accomplished two things. First, the White House
                  has publicly stated the Medal will indeed be awarded. Second, it is
                  virtually impossible to make the award until after the election, or so I am
                  told by most observers, for to do so would look like a surrender to Mr.
                  Lazio. We have waited a long time and can wait longer.

                • Hnlembeck@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 13 , Aug 17, 2000
                    Dr. Gable:

                    Thank you for taking the time to reply. I appreciate it.

                    I yield to your greater involvement and experience in the matter, and accept
                    your conclusions. Frankly, I was not aware of the institutional resistance
                    by the Army to what they characterize as "historical medals." (I was in the
                    Marine Corps, which has its own historical resistance to the Army and its
                    ways.)

                    However, I continue to think that, regardless of the Army's position, which I
                    again concede I did not appreciate until you brought it to my attention,
                    President Clinton could have insisted on making the award, which he obviously
                    felt was the right thing to do. By delaying, he created a situation that led
                    to Congressman Lazio's making an issue of it, which, in turn, caused further
                    delay in order to assist Mrs. Clinton in her Senate campaign.

                    But, of course, you are right. We've waited a long time. Another few weeks
                    won't hurt.

                    Respectfully and with good wishes.

                    Harry Lembeck
                  • TRA