Re: Two New Books

  • gardunne63
    Message 1 of 4 , May 19, 2004
      --- In tr-m@yahoogroups.com, "John A. Gable" <TRA_Gable@s...> wrote:
      > Two New Books
      >
      > .
      >
      > "The year 1912 constitutes the defining moment in American
      history," writes James Chace. "...The contest among Roosevelt,
      Wilson, Taft, and Debs-- over reform at home and later over American
      involvement abroad-- recalls the great days of Jefferson and
      Hamilton, as the 1912 campaign tackled the central question of
      America's exceptional destiny."

      I am two chapters from finishing "1912". It's definitely a pro-TR
      book. There are no great revelations to the TR afficienados,
      however.

      I can't wait to read how Edmund Morris covers 1912. When is the
      estimated publishing date of his book, btw?

      Thanks, Julie
      Message 2 of 4 , May 19, 2004
        Edmund Morris is currently at work on a short biography of Beethoven, and he
        has not begun work-- research or writing -- on volume three of his
        three-volume bio of TR.

        John Gable in Oyster Bay
        > > "The year 1912 constitutes the defining moment in American
        > history," writes James Chace. "...The contest among Roosevelt,
        > Wilson, Taft, and Debs-- over reform at home and later over American
        > involvement abroad-- recalls the great days of Jefferson and
        > Hamilton, as the 1912 campaign tackled the central question of
        > America's exceptional destiny."
        > >

        > I am two chapters from finishing "1912". It's definitely a pro-TR
        > book. There are no great revelations to the TR afficienados,
        > however.
        >
        > I can't wait to read how Edmund Morris covers 1912. When is the
        > estimated publishing date of his book, btw?
        >
        > Thanks, Julie

      • Mark Arend
        Message 3 of 4 , May 19, 2004
          Got this article today through one of my library newsgroups. One sentence
          in particular jumped out at me.

          The Curious Incident of the Boxes
          By SARAH LYALL

          Published: May 19, 2004

          LONDON, May 18 - For 25 years the cardboard boxes, more than a dozen of
          them, sat in a corner of a London office, gathering dust while lawyers
          argued about whom they belonged to and scholars dreamed about what was
          inside. But the auction this Wednesday of their contents, once belonging
          to Arthur Conan Doyle, the creator of Sherlock Holmes, has provoked
          another fight and a mystery almost worthy of Holmes himself.

          There is also fascinating correspondence with public figures like
          Winston Churchill, P. G. Wodehouse, Theodore Roosevelt and Oscar Wilde.

          http://www.nytimes.com/2004/05/19/books/19DOYL.html

          Mark W. Arend
          Beaver Dam, Wisc.

          Scoutmaster, Troop 736 ++++++++++++++++ WM, Dodge County Lodge #72, F&AM

          Outside of a dog a book is Man's best friend.
          Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.
          --Groucho Marx