Pet peeve about the town of Oyster Bay

  • gardunne63
    Message 1 of 2 , May 11, 2004
      My three previous trips out to Sagamore were via the Long Island
      train from Penn Station. Now that I live three hours from NYC and
      not in Atlanta, I plan to drive my car out to Oyster Bay later in
      the summer.

      My point is is that is next to impossible to find a competent taxi
      driver in that town who has the first clue who TR was. Two of the
      three drivers had not really heard of Sagamore Hill. Maybe it was
      just miscommunication of my Southern accent and their Russian
      accents.The return trip from Sagamore back into the town is always
      just as painful.

      The city of Oyster Bay, IMO, does a terrible job in selling itself
      as the home of "their" president and in accomodating those tourists
      who do come in via the commuter train. I know, I know. Oyster Bay
      is one of the hamlets that doesn't want the influx of tourists
      anyway. But I would never recommend to any non TR-devoted person to
      try to visit Sagamore Hill via the train. It's a hassle and a
      headache.

      Question - are the houses of J West and Emlen Roosevelt still
      standing?

      Thanks, Julie
      Message 2 of 2 , May 11, 2004
        Yes, those houses are still standing. They are privately owned and do not
        allow visitors. The houses are not owned by members of the Roosevelt family.
        There are also other former residences and one current Roosevelt residence
        on Cove Neck. I agree the taxi service is terrible. We may start running a
        bus from the station to Sagamore Hill on a schedule in the summer. This idea
        is being seriously discussed in Oyster Bay, which at last has decided
        tourists might be good for the village.