Re: [tr-m] the spirit of Sagamore Hill

    Message 1 of 7 , May 11, 2004
      While full or even close to full restoration of the old farm life, with pigs
      and horses and cows and crops, does not seem to me particularly practical,
      or a good use of slender resources, we could most certainly have more nature
      and grounds walks. The long hike to the Cold Spring Harbor beach and back is
      something that could be offered. That evokes the life they led and the steps
      they took. I think some moderate planting of vegetables and flowers could be
      done.
      We have had for many, many years exhibits of farm tools and the like of
      the period, in the little shed, at the west end of the visitor center. The
      public has almost no interest in this exhibit.
      The windmill was reconstructed to give a sense of the farming days.
      I don't mean to be negative on the farm scene, but our other needs are
      pressing and important, and as for funds we can barely keep the place open
      with the staff we have.
      Without the volunteers, it could not be open period.
      John
      Message 2 of 7 , May 13, 2004
        As a member of the TRA and a huge fan of their work....couldn't something be
        done to raise money for a new visitor's center that would give plenty of
        room for conferences and everything else that the TRA would like to see at
        the site. I was very impressed by the Franklin and Eleanor Roosevelt
        Institute, (of which I am also a member)...with their "Remembering
        Greatness" campaign that resulted in the building of their new visitor
        center. Could something like that be done in the case of Sagamore Hill?

        Respectfully yours,
        Scott Enos

        >From: "John A. Gable" <TRA_Gable@...>
        >To: <tr-m@yahoogroups.com>
        >Subject: Re: [tr-m] the spirit of Sagamore Hill
        >Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 12:33:39 -0400
        >
        >While full or even close to full restoration of the old farm life, with
        >pigs
        >and horses and cows and crops, does not seem to me particularly practical,
        >or a good use of slender resources, we could most certainly have more
        >nature
        >and grounds walks. The long hike to the Cold Spring Harbor beach and back
        >is
        >something that could be offered. That evokes the life they led and the
        >steps
        >they took. I think some moderate planting of vegetables and flowers could
        >be
        >done.
        > We have had for many, many years exhibits of farm tools and the like
        >of
        >the period, in the little shed, at the west end of the visitor center. The
        >public has almost no interest in this exhibit.
        > The windmill was reconstructed to give a sense of the farming days.
        > I don't mean to be negative on the farm scene, but our other needs
        >are
        >pressing and important, and as for funds we can barely keep the place open
        >with the staff we have.
        >Without the volunteers, it could not be open period.
        > John

        Best Restaurant Giveaway Ever! Vote for your favorites for a chance to win
        $1 million! http://local.msn.com/special/giveaway.asp
      • TRA
        Message 3 of 7 , May 14, 2004
          That's what we're trying to do with the Coin Bill...

          Message 4 of 7 , May 14, 2004
            As this group has been informed in recent months, a bill in the House would
            mint commemorative coins that could yield up to $ 10,000,000 in revenue,
            which to receive the TRA would have to match. The companion bill was
            introduced this week in the Senate by Senator Kent Conrad. The House bill
            was introduced by Cong. Peter King. The problem is we need 290 co-sponsors
            for the bill in the House to get a vote on the bill. That's a lot of folks!
            We have about 110 sponsors now. Urge your Congressman to get on board. If
            he/she already is a sponsor, they will simply tell you, and if not then they
            may sign on.
            The great new visitors center in Hyde Park-- I was there for
            the dedication last fall-- is very much on my mind as I think about Sagamore
            Hill. That was built, as you know, by private funds.
            John Gable in Oyster Bay

            Message 5 of 7 , May 15, 2004
              You know, with all this talk about restoring Sagamore Hill to what it was,
              nobody mentions the ICE HOUSE. Right there behind the main house. Put in the
              blocks of ice, saw dust, some milk, eggs, and bacon, and we would see how
              part of life was lived in the olden days.