TR's voice

  • gardunne63
    Message 1 of 4 , May 4 7:04 AM
      I've heard several of TR's speeches. I know the quality of the
      recordings some 100 years afer these speeches does not gel with my
      modern, lazy ears. However, to these ears, TR just doesn't come off
      as the charismatic, dynamic speaker that I've always read about.
      Perhaps the hands of time have slowed his rapid-fire delivery and
      falsetto squeeks. Has anyone else felt disappointed after hearing
      one of his recorded speeches?

      But I am a TR fan that thinks he was sexy, even by modern standards.

      Julie
    • TRA
      Message 2 of 4 , May 4 8:03 AM
        Don't forget that recording methods were quite different at the time, also.
        They did not bring recording equipment to actual, live speeches. To make a
        recording, you had to go to them and speak into a microphone. So the
        dynamism of TR's speeches was lost because of the lack of live audience, and
        also from the lack of visuals - he was a very "visual" speaker, using motion
        as much as voice to get his point across. The recording techniques of the
        day must have felt very limiting to him.

        Best wishes from Oyster Bay,

        Linda E. Milano
        Assistant Director (516) 921-6319
        Theodore Roosevelt Association Fax: (516) 921-6481
        P.O. Box 719 E-Mail: TRA_Milano@...
        Oyster Bay, NY 11771-0719 web: www.theodoreroosevelt.org

        > I've heard several of TR's speeches. I know the quality of the
        > recordings some 100 years afer these speeches does not gel with my
        > modern, lazy ears. However, to these ears, TR just doesn't come off
        > as the charismatic, dynamic speaker that I've always read about.
        > Perhaps the hands of time have slowed his rapid-fire delivery and
        > falsetto squeeks. Has anyone else felt disappointed after hearing
        > one of his recorded speeches?
        >
        > But I am a TR fan that thinks he was sexy, even by modern standards.
        >
        > Julie

      • Michael Cawelti
        Message 3 of 4 , May 4 9:26 AM
          Julie,

          It is my opinion that the recording devices of the time were so finicky,
          that the person being recorded had to do things with their voice that
          made it unlike their normal speech (as in speaking slowly, and with
          emphasized diction and straight into the mouth piece). Have you ever
          spoke over a candlestick phone? You have to do the same things with
          your voice in order to be understood.

          Also, I think that the voice that orators used in their speeches was
          different than their normal speaking voice. I've had a great deal of
          experience speaking to a large crowd using no microphone, and I have
          found that I subconsciously raise the timber of his voice to a higher
          range. This carries better over the crowd. I wonder if much to the
          reported "high squeaky voice" that TR was said to possess was reported
          by those who heard him speak out of doors or in a large hall. He was
          probably a tenor, but chose to raise it higher when public speaking in
          order to be better heard.

          And even if he had a high voice, it shouldn't diminish him in our
          estimation. Lincoln was said to have a high pitched voice and the
          ladies don't seem to mind that Tom Selleck has a high timber voice ... :-)

          Michael Cawelti

        • mike_shaver@nps.gov
          Message 4 of 4 , May 4 2:32 PM
            Michael does well to explain the quirks of the early recording process. The
            speed in which the cylinder was spinning and the play-back speed are not
            always the same. TR does sound higher pitched on the Library of Congress
            recordings on the internet, because they are played back at a higher speed.

            When I first heard several of the recordings, I was actually suprised that
            he was not as high pitched as the biographers would lead you to believe.
            And in listening to professionally remastered recordings of his speeches,
            the comparisons of TR's voice to the actor Richard Dryfuss are not far from
            the mark. If you go on to listen to Eleanor or cousin Franklin after a TR
            sound fest, it is a bit telling how similar the public speaking styles are.

            Also, from the best of my understanding, almost all of the recordings, the
            four 1912 campaign speeches and the one to boys youth organization - the
            hit the line hard speech - were all done in the hallway of his home at
            Sagamore Hill - not the greatest acoustical space.

            In the end, his voice did not carry the day as the indescribable quality of
            his charisma. I say that because his admirers and detractors almost always
            had trouble describing that quality, but could never discount the fact that
            he always seemed to electrify the very space he occupied.

            Mike Shaver

            Michael Cawelti
            <captglvr@pacbell To: tr-m@yahoogroups.com
            .net> cc: (bcc: Mike Shaver/GOIS/NPS)
            Subject: Re: [tr-m] TR's voice
            05/04/2004 09:26
            AM MST
            Please respond to
            tr-m

            gardunne63 wrote:

            >I've heard several of TR's speeches. I know the quality of the
            >recordings some 100 years afer these speeches does not gel with my
            >modern, lazy ears. However, to these ears, TR just doesn't come off
            >as the charismatic, dynamic speaker that I've always read about.
            >Perhaps the hands of time have slowed his rapid-fire delivery and
            >falsetto squeeks. Has anyone else felt disappointed after hearing
            >one of his recorded speeches?
            >
            >But I am a TR fan that thinks he was sexy, even by modern standards.
            >
            >Julie

            >Yahoo! Groups Links

            Yahoo! Groups Links