Re: [tr-m] TR and Music

    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 1, 2004
      TR liked to sing hymns in church. He had favorite hymns and knew many by
      heart. Yes, as Vince surmised, TR sang very loudly in church, but he didn't
      carry a tune very well. Does anyone out there know what TR's favorite hymn
      was ? We sing in it in Christ Church, Oyster Bay on the Sunday nearest his
      birthday every year.
      Edith Roosevelt loved music, classical and also more modern music. She had
      famous concerts in the White House, and of course TR attended these. But
      seldom said much, or expressed opinions. This was his wife's thing, not his.
      TR had difficulty telling one tune from another. And yet he could identify
      bird songs easily. This does not compute, but there it is. He liked marches
      and military tunes. He did hum to himself. But he was certainly not musical.
      He loved painting and sculpture, literature, poetry, but music was not his
      thing.
      John Gable
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 1, 2004
        --- In tr-m@yahoogroups.com, "John A. Gable" <TRA_Gable@s...> wrote:

        > Edith Roosevelt loved music, classical and also more modern music.
        She had > famous concerts in the White House, and of course TR
        attended these. But seldom said much, or expressed opinions. This
        was his wife's thing, not his. TR had difficulty telling one tune
        from another. And yet he could identify bird songs easily. This
        does not compute, but there it is. He liked marches and military
        tunes. He did hum to himself. But he was certainly not musical.
        He loved painting and sculpture, literature, poetry, but music was
        not his > thing.

        TR was a fan of ragtime, wasn't he?

        "Onward Christian Soldiers" or "How Firm a Foundation" would be my
        guess as to TR's favorite hymn.

        Speaking of Edith, where is her vast collection of theatre
        programs/playbills archived? Is it in a private collection of one
        of the grandchildren or great-grandchildren? I believe she started
        attending plays in the 1870's and was an avid theatregoer through
        the 30's. I am a theatre history nut and can't imagine the number of
        programs she might have left to one of the children or
        grandchildren.

        Thanks, Julie
      • JAMES SUMMERVILLE
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 1, 2004
          If memory serves (which it often does not), I've read
          that TR's favorite hymn was "How Firm a Foundation."
          If I'm mistaken, someone please correct this for all
          the readers on the list.

          Jim Summerville
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 2, 2004
            Correct ! "How Firm a Foundation, Ye Saints of the Lord" was TR's favorite
            hymn.

            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 2, 2004
              While Scot Joplin composed "The Strenuous Life Rag" in honor of TR, and
              while Alice once convinced the band at the White House to play some Joplin,
              as far as I know TR was not a fan of ragtime music.
              I know of no collection of theatre programs assembled by Edith Roosevelt.
              John Gable

            • sherryj@u.arizona.edu
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 3, 2004
                > While Scot Joplin composed "The Strenuous Life Rag" in honor of TR,

                Interesting to know! I've got a CD that I don't pay much attention to, and I'll
                have to check and see if it's on there.