Re: [tr-m] TR and Music

  • Vince Liberto
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 31, 2004
      John,
      It always struck a chord (sic) with me as well,
      how he could not dance. He hopped. I heard he was
      tone deaf. It's as if all his talent went into
      other areas and left his musical prowess a great
      void. Not a bad trade-off, though. The TR I know
      probably would have gloried in his inability to
      dance or to pick up a tone. At religious services
      he probably sang louder than anyone anyway. He
      always knew how to call attention to himself.
      Vince
      New Orleans

      http://taxes.yahoo.com/filing.html
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 1, 2004
        TR liked to sing hymns in church. He had favorite hymns and knew many by
        heart. Yes, as Vince surmised, TR sang very loudly in church, but he didn't
        carry a tune very well. Does anyone out there know what TR's favorite hymn
        was ? We sing in it in Christ Church, Oyster Bay on the Sunday nearest his
        birthday every year.
        Edith Roosevelt loved music, classical and also more modern music. She had
        famous concerts in the White House, and of course TR attended these. But
        seldom said much, or expressed opinions. This was his wife's thing, not his.
        TR had difficulty telling one tune from another. And yet he could identify
        bird songs easily. This does not compute, but there it is. He liked marches
        and military tunes. He did hum to himself. But he was certainly not musical.
        He loved painting and sculpture, literature, poetry, but music was not his
        thing.
        John Gable
        > It always struck a chord (sic) with me as well,
        > how he could not dance. He hopped. I heard he was
        > tone deaf. It's as if all his talent went into
        > other areas and left his musical prowess a great
        > void. Not a bad trade-off, though. The TR I know
        > probably would have gloried in his inability to
        > dance or to pick up a tone. At religious services
        > he probably sang louder than anyone anyway. He
        > always knew how to call attention to himself.
        > Vince
        > New Orleans
        > --- JJWILLSBR@... wrote:
        > > I have always been perplexed by the fact that
        > > music apparently played such an
        > > insignificant role in the life of such a
        > > bookish, true "renaissance man" like
        > > TR. Other than a small section in Wagenknecht's
        > > wonderful book, "The Seven
        > > Worlds of Theodore Roosevelt," I find precious
        > > little mention of his interest
        > > in, or appreciation of, music in any of the TR
        > > biographies, or even in his own
        > > writings, letters or autobiography.
        > > Have I overlooked something? Does anyone else
        > > find this inadvertence strange?
        > >
        > > John E Willson

      • gardunne63
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 1, 2004
          --- In tr-m@yahoogroups.com, "John A. Gable" <TRA_Gable@s...> wrote:

          > Edith Roosevelt loved music, classical and also more modern music.
          She had > famous concerts in the White House, and of course TR
          attended these. But seldom said much, or expressed opinions. This
          was his wife's thing, not his. TR had difficulty telling one tune
          from another. And yet he could identify bird songs easily. This
          does not compute, but there it is. He liked marches and military
          tunes. He did hum to himself. But he was certainly not musical.
          He loved painting and sculpture, literature, poetry, but music was
          not his > thing.

          TR was a fan of ragtime, wasn't he?

          "Onward Christian Soldiers" or "How Firm a Foundation" would be my
          guess as to TR's favorite hymn.

          Speaking of Edith, where is her vast collection of theatre
          programs/playbills archived? Is it in a private collection of one
          of the grandchildren or great-grandchildren? I believe she started
          attending plays in the 1870's and was an avid theatregoer through
          the 30's. I am a theatre history nut and can't imagine the number of
          programs she might have left to one of the children or
          grandchildren.

          Thanks, Julie
        • JAMES SUMMERVILLE
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 1, 2004
            If memory serves (which it often does not), I've read
            that TR's favorite hymn was "How Firm a Foundation."
            If I'm mistaken, someone please correct this for all
            the readers on the list.

            Jim Summerville
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 2, 2004
              Correct ! "How Firm a Foundation, Ye Saints of the Lord" was TR's favorite
              hymn.

              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 2, 2004
                While Scot Joplin composed "The Strenuous Life Rag" in honor of TR, and
                while Alice once convinced the band at the White House to play some Joplin,
                as far as I know TR was not a fan of ragtime music.
                I know of no collection of theatre programs assembled by Edith Roosevelt.
                John Gable

              • sherryj@u.arizona.edu
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 3, 2004
                  > While Scot Joplin composed "The Strenuous Life Rag" in honor of TR,

                  Interesting to know! I've got a CD that I don't pay much attention to, and I'll
                  have to check and see if it's on there.