Re: [tr-m] Medal of Honor

  • Arnie Talgo
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 23 7:43 AM
      Perhaps will all the twists and turns of"politics" there are some who would
      cause delay in award for exactly that purpose
      ARNIE

      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 23 7:47 AM
        Mr. K,

        Your computer's system clock is set to December 1969 instead of July
        2000.

        This makes all of your messages appear out of order in the various
        threads.

        Perhaps you might want to fix it?

        Just a suggestion.

        ES

        --
        AOL IM Pager - DinoEditor

        Dinosaur Central
        http://www.dinosaur.org mailto:Editor@...
        Britannica Internet Guide, Yahoo and Yahooligans Choice, Netscape Site
        of the Day. Member of The Paleo Ring

        A prequel to Teefr by Edward Summer
        http://www.dinosaur.org/teefr/bearbob.htm mailto:Teefr@...

      • Henry Hendrix
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 9, 2000
          All,
          Latest word from DC. Expect no action on Medal of Honor until after
          election. White House does not want to give Congressman Lazio any successes
          during the Senatorial campaign.
          Jerry

          >From: Aaron Bangor <abangor@...>
          >To: tr-m@egroups.com
          >Subject: [tr-m] Medal of Honor
          >Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2000 12:44:05 -0400
          >

          > >Teddy Roosevelt May Get Medal He Sought after Fighting in Cuba
          > >PITTSBURGH (AP) -- The Army has recommended that Theodore Roosevelt
          > >receive the nation's highest military honor more than 100 years after he
          > >led the Rough Riders in the Spanish-American War.
          > >A recommendation to honor the former president with the Medal of Honor is
          > >awaiting President Clinton's signature, Army spokeswoman Karin Martinez
          > >said in Thursday's Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.
          > >Two years ago, Congress approved legislation asking that Roosevelt be
          > >awarded the medal, but Clinton said he wanted a review by Army scholars.
          > >The investigation led to a positive recommendation by the secretaries of
          > >the army and defense and the Army Senior Decorations Board, the
          > >Post-Gazette said.
          > >Roosevelt led two charges against the Spanish army in Cuba on July 1,
          > >1898. The first was up Kettle Hill and the second was up San Juan Hill.
          > >He wrote to a friend four months after the battles that he thought he
          > >would get the medal. Twenty-two other men received the Medal of Honor for
          > >action that day, including two members of Roosevelt's volunteer unit.
          > >"I am entitled to the Medal of Honor and I want it," he wrote.
          > >Supporters of the honor say Roosevelt's outspokenness, combined with the
          > >political squabbles of the times and a prejudice in favor of regular Army
          > >regiments, kept him from the medal.

        • TRA
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 10, 2000
            Congressman Lazio has attacked Mr. Clinton for not giving TR the Medal, when
            Mr. Lazio knows and we all know that the Army was the problem and the
            barrier. Lazio has repeatedly made these attacks, starting in June,
            therefore making the award of the Medal impossible without looking like a
            public surrender to Mr. Lazio. It is thus likely and understandable why the
            Medal won't come until after the election. The White House has publicly
            stated that the Medal will be awarded to TR.

            Best wishes from Oyster Bay,

            John A. Gable, Ph.D.
            Executive Director TRA_Gable@...
            Theodore Roosevelt Association (516) 921-6319
            P.O. Box 719 FAX: (516) 921-6481
            Oyster Bay, NY 11771-0719 www.theodoreroosevelt.org

          • CVenutoFl@aol.com
            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 10, 2000
              Thank you for the information. This medal of honor has been due for over one
              hundred years and it is unfair to blame the current administration for not
              honoring TR for his valor.
              I hope future information on this site can be less political.

              Charlie Venuto
              President, Emeritus
              Indian River Audubon Society
            • Richard Weintraub
              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 10, 2000
                Dear Dr.Gable:Thank You for your prompt response on "Why TR" will not be
                obtaining the well-deserved( "Better Late Then Never") Medal of Honor until
                after the November elections.TR deserves a beeter fate.TR was denied the Medal
                of Honor in 1898 because of "politics" and again in 2000,TR is being denied his
                due one again because of "politics".A few remaining questions.After the November
                election ,do you believe there will be a 'big" event at the White House or
                Oyster Bay giving TR's relatives the due you are owed? and sorry,but- Why do
                some people refer to the Medal as the "Congressional Medal of Honor" instead of
                the "Medal of Honor" ?-Thank You,again-Richard Weintraub

              • Hnlembeck@aol.com
                Message 7 of 13 , Aug 11, 2000
                  Dr. Gable, I do not blame Congressman Lazio. President Clinton had this on
                  his desk before Congressman Lazio decided to run for the Senate. He could
                  have done something about it then. Moreover, regardless of whether anyone
                  thinks Congressman Lazio's is posturing, he is asking for something that is
                  only right, and we all know it is right. To delay action simply to assist
                  his wife in her own Senate campaign is, I think, unfortunate.

                  Nor do I necessarily blame the Army. I am not persuaded that Army and DOD
                  officials in 2000 have the same bitterness over TR's actions, when he was
                  openly critical of the Army, as their predecessors did more than one hundred
                  years ago. Probably few if any of them are even aware of what happened back
                  then. And if they did harbor some residual resentment, why should this deter
                  President Clinton from concluding the matter if he agreed with the award?

                  Respectfully,

                  Harry Lembeck
                • Robert Kuniegel
                  Message 8 of 13 , Aug 12, 2000
                    Dr. Gable and other posters,

                    I simply can not believe people are so eager to have Bill Clinton's name always
                    mentioned when talking about Theodore Roosevelt's greatest hour. For years now I
                    have had to turn off the tv or radio station so I do not get sick from hearing
                    his voice and or seeing his face. I know I am not alone in my disgust of the
                    sight of this president. Why are some of you so eager to lower the visual image
                    TR wanted to paint in the minds of the American people when they think of the
                    American Presidency? Billy boy will do this medal of honor promotion in a manner
                    that will get him maximum exposure. So do not despair if you are only concerned
                    about this year 2000 stupid medal awarded for political purposes, you will get
                    it. If you investigate I am sure someone in the military had some pressure from
                    the white house to get this done. Think long and hard before you get what you are
                    wishing for. TR's life story paints a beautiful picture without inserting a photo
                    of a treasonous draft dodging president that let China have our nuclear weapons
                    at bargain prices.

                    Respectfully
                    Robert Kuniegel
                    ***********

                    Message 9 of 13 , Aug 16, 2000
                      Dear Mr. Weintraub:

                      Several venues have been discussed for the award of the Medal of Honor to TR
                      including the White House and Sagamore Hill, but no decision has been made.
                      TR's descendants will definitely be involved. The Medal will ultimately be
                      given to the White House as a companion piece to the Nobel Peace Prize.

                      Best wishes from Oyster Bay,

                      John A. Gable, Ph.D.
                      Executive Director TRA_Gable@...
                      Theodore Roosevelt Association (516) 921-6319
                      P.O. Box 719 FAX: (516) 921-6481
                      Oyster Bay, NY 11771-0719 www.theodoreroosevelt.org

                      P.S. from Linda Milano,

                      The Congressional Medal of Honor was originally granted by Congress, hence
                      the name. Today, it is granted by the Army and is known as the Medal of
                      Honor (MOH).

                      Best wishes from Oyster Bay,

                      Linda Milano
                      Assistant Director TRA_Milano@...

                      Message 10 of 13 , Aug 16, 2000
                        To Mr. Lembeck - and Mr. Kuniegel:

                        I know for a fact that the Army opposed giving TR the Medal of Honor, and
                        that has been the only problem we faced in this whole process. The Army is
                        against all historical medal awards in general, and the head of the history
                        bureau of the Army thinks TR does not deserve the Medal. It is not true
                        that President Clinton had the recommendation on his desk before Mr. Lazio
                        decided to run for the Senate. I value Congressman Lazio's support for the
                        Medal, and I also value President Clinton's support. President Clinton
                        treats the military with great respect, which is why this process has taken
                        so long. The Army took advantage of the situation and delayed us as long as
                        possible. I just look at the facts, and do not filter reality through the
                        distorted lenses of political preconceptions. I have worked with Presidents
                        of both parties. For the record, the recommendation arrived at the White
                        House in June, and Mr. Lazio immediately attacked Mr. Clinton, as he did
                        again in recent days. This accomplished two things. First, the White House
                        has publicly stated the Medal will indeed be awarded. Second, it is
                        virtually impossible to make the award until after the election, or so I am
                        told by most observers, for to do so would look like a surrender to Mr.
                        Lazio. We have waited a long time and can wait longer.

                      • Hnlembeck@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 13 , Aug 17, 2000
                          Dr. Gable:

                          Thank you for taking the time to reply. I appreciate it.

                          I yield to your greater involvement and experience in the matter, and accept
                          your conclusions. Frankly, I was not aware of the institutional resistance
                          by the Army to what they characterize as "historical medals." (I was in the
                          Marine Corps, which has its own historical resistance to the Army and its
                          ways.)

                          However, I continue to think that, regardless of the Army's position, which I
                          again concede I did not appreciate until you brought it to my attention,
                          President Clinton could have insisted on making the award, which he obviously
                          felt was the right thing to do. By delaying, he created a situation that led
                          to Congressman Lazio's making an issue of it, which, in turn, caused further
                          delay in order to assist Mrs. Clinton in her Senate campaign.

                          But, of course, you are right. We've waited a long time. Another few weeks
                          won't hurt.

                          Respectfully and with good wishes.

                          Harry Lembeck
                        • TRA