Henry Cabot Lodge

  • BrotherPres@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 22, 2004
      I recently purchased a book, hoping to learn more about TR's good friend Henry Cabot Lodge. Unfortunately I purchased the book online and did not realize until it was to late that I had purchased a biography of JFK's 1952 Senate opponent and grandson of the Henry Cabot Lodge I was hoping to learn about.

      Can anyone recommend a good Henry Cabot Lodge (the elder) biography?

      Thanks!

      G.T. Bynum
      Washington, DC by way of Tulsa, OK
    • Wynn Maj Gregory A
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 22, 2004
        G.T. Bynum:

        Since you have a dual interest in TR and HCL, recommend you read the
        splendid 2-volume correspondence between TR and Lodge published, I believe
        in 1919 or 1920. They are still readily and affordably found in book shops
        and through such booksearch sites as ABE, Bookfinder, or Bibliofind.

        The Lodge you are referring to was also Richard Nixon's running mate
        in 1960 against JFK/LBJ, among other things.

        I recently purchased a book, hoping to learn more about TR's good friend
        Henry Cabot Lodge. Unfortunately I purchased the book online and did not
        realize until it was to late that I had purchased a biography of JFK's 1952
        Senate opponent and grandson of the Henry Cabot Lodge I was hoping to learn
        about.

        Can anyone recommend a good Henry Cabot Lodge (the elder) biography?

        Thanks!

        G.T. Bynum
        Washington, DC by way of Tulsa, OK

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Hnlembeck@aol.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 22, 2004
          Exactly the same thing happened to me!

          Try "The Gentleman from Massachusetts" by Karl Schriftgiesser. Let me know
          how you like it.

          Best regards and happy reading.

          Harry Lembeck
          Atlanta
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 22, 2004
            Many consider John A. Garraty, Henry Cabot Lodge: A Biography (1953) the
            best bio of the senior Lodge.

          • BrotherPres@aol.com
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 23, 2004
              Excellent! Thank you very much to everyone for your help.

              G.T.