TR's Pets

  • pathfinder6436830
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 6, 2004
      My nephew (8 yrs. old) picked TR's name out of a hat to do a school
      report for Presidents Day. One of the questions asked for the kind and
      names of TR's pets. Can anyone tell me where we might be able to find
      this information? If you have this information, please pass it along.
      My sister told my nephew that I knew a lot about such things, so I
      have to produce! Thanks.
    • Tim Glas
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 6, 2004
        Goodness.

        There were animals throughout TR's life, and I'm not sure where you would like to draw the line between pets in Roosevelt's household, in his youth, etc.

        I seem to remember that he had a parrot in his Uncle's home when he was a child, but that is all that comes to mind. There was Little Texas, the horse who went to Cuba, and Black Jack the dog, as well as Skip who has been mentioned extensively on this forum.

        The kids seemed to have a menagerie in the house, and I've seen photos of each child with a different animal.

        Off the top of my head I'd say look for Josiah the Badger in Theodre Rex by Edmund Morris -- and was a favorite of Archie's. There is a stuffed badger in the library of Sagamore Hill (not Josiah) to represent his presence. Alice had a green snake named Emily Spinach, and there was a family pony named Algonquin.

        There was a pet cemetary behind the house at Sagamore Hill, so it's clearly evident that pets were a cherished part of the family.

        I hope this helps. It's about the same stage where my own mania began. :)

        Cheers,
        Tim Glas

        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 6, 2004
          TR's family had many, many pets, and there is no list available of all of
          them. There were many dogs, mostly mongrels. Names included Jack, Skip, Boz,
          Jesse. There were guinea pigs, some named after clergy friends of the
          family. Alice had a green snake named Emily Spinach. There was a macaw at
          one point. There was also for a time a bear cub named Jonathan Edwards,
          after the Puritan divine to whom Mrs. Roosevelt was related. There were also
          the horses, including ponies. Then there was the pet badger Josiah.
          John Gable in Oyster Bay

          > My nephew (8 yrs. old) picked TR's name out of a hat to do a school
          > report for Presidents Day. One of the questions asked for the kind and
          > names of TR's pets. Can anyone tell me where we might be able to find
          > this information? If you have this information, please pass it along.
          > My sister told my nephew that I knew a lot about such things, so I
          > have to produce! Thanks.

        • TRA
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 6, 2004
            to add to the list:

            blue macaw named Eli Yale

            raccoon named Allen

            two ponies - Algonquin and General Grant (named for the pony TR & his
            siblings had as children)

            gray kitten named Tom Quartz (named for a cat in a Mark Twain story; Quentin
            got into trouble for putting Tom Quartz in the bathtub and turning on the
            water).

            Josiah the badger. Archie thought he was a great pet - he only bit your
            hands & feet & never went for your face. Archie fed him potatoes & milk.
            TR thought Josiah hissed like a tea-kettle & looked like a mattress with
            paws.

            Alice's pet snake Emily Spinach - green like spinach & thin like Aunt
            Emily - she carried the snake in her purse.

            There were other snakes, hamsters, guinea pigs, etc.

            There was a pack of mixed-breed dogs at Sagamore Hill - they lived outdoors
            and the kids referred to them as the "Heinz Pickle Dogs" - after Heinz 57
            Varieties.

            Best wishes from Oyster Bay,

            Linda E. Milano
            Assistant Director (516) 921-6319
            Theodore Roosevelt Association Fax: (516) 921-6481
            P.O. Box 719 E-Mail: TRA_Milano@...
            Oyster Bay, NY 11771-0719 web: www.theodoreroosevelt.org

          • tbaker@pro-ns.net
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 6, 2004
              Hello!

              I would check out these books for info:

              'Presidential Pets' by Niall Kelly

              'First Dogs; American Presidents & their best friends' by roy rowan and
              Brooke Janis (be forwarned that this book has incorrectly identifed TR hunting
              with a hound on p.74 as Skip.)

              'White House Pets' by Margaret Truman

              Do also read "Letters to his children" by TR, wonderful accounts of
              experiences with pets, including Tom Quarts and Slipper (the cats) and their
              beloved horses.

              TR and his family owned numerous dogs:

              Black Jack (Manchester terrier)

              Rollo (St. Bernard)

              Boz (Boston Terrier)

              Sailor Boy (Chesapeake Bay Retriever)

              Allen & Jessie (Scottish Terriers)

              Pete (Bull-terrier/American Pit Bull Terrier)

              Mike (Bull Terrier)

              Ace (Bulldog)

              Leo (appeared to be a poodle type)

              Skip (appeared to be a feist)

              Cuba (looked like a Dandie Dinmont Terrier)

              Susan (looked like a Black Mouth Cur)

              Briar (most likely a Scottish Terrier)

              Roy (a terrier)

              Scamp (most likely a terrier)