Re: [tr-m] TR given credit (but can anyone prove this?)

  • tbaker@pro-ns.net
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 31, 2004
      Hey John!

      I have done some digging into "TR - the RAT and the myth" and am still trying
      to nail down just how this rumour of TR naming the rat terrier came about. I
      have my theories :-). TR had two Manchester terriers, both named Jack, and
      the Manchester terrier in the latter 1800's and early 1900's was actually
      called a 'rat terrier', as it was one of the breeds specifically used in
      ratting competition. (Can you just SEE TR at a ratting match? I bet he'd
      have gone to one!) Thus when he moved into the White House with Jack, he had
      a 'rat terrier' - of sorts. I am thinking that either the attention of the
      news media of the day got it out that the White House had rats because TR had
      a rat terrier (ie Manchester), or that the Rat terrier breed clubs have done
      some very poor homework (and indeed in some cases I feel TR has been exploited
      by this forced association.) In any event, nearly and dog will kill rats, and
      from what I can tell TR also bred Scotties on his ranch and (since birth
      control for dogs is never easy) from the film footage I can where dogs are
      shown, many dogs that are claimed by Rat terrier enthusiasts to be Rat
      terriers are likely scottie mixes, and scotties will do a mean number on
      vermin also.

      Check out my "History of the Rat Terrier in a Nutshell" for a teeny bit of TR
      history and the Rat Terrier. And please feel free to communicate any errors!
      I have drawn some of my history from this group and I want to make sure I have
      it right.

      And if anyone can knows where I should look to verify the demolition of the
      green house and the thousands of rats please contact me.

      Thanks,

      Theresa

      T's History of the Rat Terrier in a Nutshell:

      http://members.aol.com/cutzpy/rthistory.html

      My kennel album -
      RatpiT Kennels: Inproving the breed ONE litter at a time!

      http://www.imageevent.com/rheller