Archie Butt

  • optic1858
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 6, 2004
      I never realized how close a relationship Archie Butt had with Edith
      Roosevelt. When you think about how few people lived back then in
      Washington DC and stuff - you realize that high society was very
      closely knit. When i read the name at first, i remembered it from
      the story of the Titanic. Truly heroic.

      I still can't get over FDR being named "Feather-duster". Those
      Oyster-Boy Roosevelts are cruel but funny

      Chris in Tampa
    • tippootib
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 21 3:52 AM
        Hello, everyone.

        As some of you might recall, a couple of years ago I posted a request here asking if anyone knew of any photographs that were take of TR in company with his military aide, Archie Butt. (Later, during a research trip to Atlanta, I found one such photo that was part of the collection of the Georgia Archive, which is the repository of Archie Butt's papers.)

        At any rate, I thought you might be interested to know that I've just self-published volume one of a three-volume biography of Archie Butt. The book, which is titled "Archie," is 765 pages long, covers the years 1865-1909 and is available on the Lulu.com website. (Unfortunately, the University of Georgia Press wasn't interested in publishing such a lengthy biography of an obscure Georgian like Archie.) Volume one is fully sourced with over a thousand footnotes, and I'm hoping that volumes two and three (both of which are almost 800 pages long) will be available for purchase within the next couple of months.

        The three volumes are the end result of eight years of research, so if anyone here should decide to purchase them, I hope you'll enjoy reading them and that you'll consider them to be a worthy addition to your TR library.

        All my best,

        George Behe