Howard Teichmann

  • optic1858
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 6, 2004
      Mr. Gable,
      What did you think of the Howard Teichmann book on Alice Roosevelt
      that came out in the late 70's? I didn't like it too much because it
      was focused on scandal, innuendo, and what-not rather than on trying
      to find out the true person and what made her tick.

      Roosevelt Women was ok but not a great deal focused on Mrs. L. Did
      anybody close to Mrs. L whether it was her grand-daugther or someone
      in the family ever write a book on her?
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 7, 2004
        There have been three biographies of Alice Longworth-- by James Brough,
        Howard Teichmann, and Carol Felsenthal, in addition to that fine book of
        Mrs. Longworth's taped recollections by Michael Teague, and of course Mrs.
        Longworth's autobiography, Crowded Hours. The Michael teague book is by far
        the best of all these titles. Felsenthal is misleading at several crucial
        points, and interested in gossip, while Brough and Teichmann are fairly
        superficial and have some factual errors. Michael Teague, of course, was a
        close personal friend of Mrs. L. The most recent book, on Roosevelt cousins,
        is by Landa Donn, and is interesting in its comparisons between Eleanor and
        Alice.
        As you see, we have sent out to the list a review of the Caroli book on the
        Roosevelt women.
        In any future communications, please identify yourself by your full
        name. I dislike answering or receiving unsigned communciations.
        John Gable in Oyster Bay