TR and John Burroughs

  • optic1858
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 7, 2004
      I read in one of the bios - It was either Edith Roosevelts or By
      Sylvia or TR's by Edmund. THat Burroughs was concerned in a visit to
      a vacation home somewhere in DC area about TR's risk of being
      assasinated. They were both alone in a secluded spot. TR laughed
      and grabbed his hip - where he had a fire-arm attached.

      Later, i read that TR used to sleep with a pistol near him at all
      times (sometimes under the pillow). I think the footnote from this
      was the John Amos' book.

      I guess TR was the first and only President to pack "heat" at all
      times. Ha-ha.
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 7, 2004
        The "vacation home" was, of course, Pine Knot, in Albemarle County,
        Virginia, a share cropper's cabin Edith bought for their vacation use. It is
        now owned by the Theodore Roosevelt Association and run by the local Edith
        and Theodore Roosevelt Foundation.
        John Gable in Oyster Bay