Re: [tr-m] Dreyfuss

    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 6, 2004
      There are those who think TR's views in his day much resemble those of
      liberal Democrats in our day. I will not pass judgment on that, but the view
      was very well expressed in the recent book The Three Roosevelts by James M.
      Burns and Susan Dunn.
      Yes, it was Jane Alexander who played Eleanor. As I pointed out
      yesterday, Richard Dreyfuss has already played TR ! And Ed Hermann was the
      narrator. I think Richard Dreyfuss's "turn" as TR on TR; An American Lion
      probably met/fulfilled his longstanding desire to play TR. He agrees he is
      too old to appear on screen as TR now. He told me so.
      By the way, I think Kathy Bates can play almost anyone, as is true
      of most brilliant actors and actresses.
      John Gable in Oyster Bay
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 6, 2004
        True points on Roosevelt and the progressive policies, no doubt. I
        agree with both of you. But, i don't think Dreyfuss and Roosevelt
        see eye to eye on the issue of gun-control, and i don't think
        Roosevelt would see eye to eye on Dreyfuss' position against
        Reagan's policies in Central America in the 80's etc. Long arugment
        on that (neither right or wrong or in scope out of scope). But, you
        are both right - Roosevelt was progressive on so many issues.

        I had a chance to downplay from the internet - Some of Roosevelt's
        speeches - I heard his voice recently ..."DEEEE-Lighted " and they
        way he pronounced "I"- AAYYYYYYY-EEEEE. FUnny stuff. Indeed.

        Chris - Tampa Bay.....

      • JackyRed@aol.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 6, 2004
          In a message dated 1/6/2004 11:45:05 AM Eastern Standard Time, TRA_Gable@... writes:
          By the way, I think Kathy Bates can play almost anyone, as is true
          of most brilliant actors and actresses.
          Well said!  Kathy Bates is fantastic.  Although it may be difficult to look past her psychotic role in Mysery, that is the mark of a good actor.  As for the political leanings of anyone who plays TR, I don't care - as long as they do a good job portraying TR.
        • Michael Cawelti
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 7, 2004
            Ed brings up an interesting phenomena.  TR seems to have been enough of an all encompassing politician to garner support and/or dislike from both sides.  Today's Liberals claim him as the political father of Conservation and champion of the common man.  Yet in many Western venues in which I portray him,  he is seen as a Conservative icon (and those same people can't stand FDR for his progressivism!).

            I suppose it is difficult for modern folk to reconcile the passionate Naturalist with the avid Hunter & and the determined Social Reformer with enthusiastic Jingo...  So, they just choose the bits they like and claim him for their's.

            Michael Cawelti

            Edward J. Renehan Jr. wrote:
            I know absolutely nothing about Dreyfuss's politics
            and so can't comment there. (Also off-topic for list.)

            But from where comes the notion that TR was a
            conservative? Are we talking about the same guy? The
            trust-busting friend of Labor? The conservationist?
            The Square Dealer and New Nationalist? The man REAL
            conservatives like Mark Hanna were so profoundly
            unhappy to see gain the White House? The man who
            campaigned for the presidency in 1912 PRECISELY
            BECAUSE his hand-picked successor, Taft, had spent the
            previous four years catering to the conservative wing
            of the Republican party, ignoring Progressive
            iniatives/imperatives?

            - EJR

            --- optic1858 <optic1858@...> wrote:

            Dreyfuss is a great actor but he is a very liberal
            democrat.  Nothing
            wrong with that and not passing judgement - He may
            agree with Tr on
            conservation issues and the like but i think it
            stops there
            politically.  He's obviously too old now to play TR.

            I really think Hollywood could benefit from the
            right movie on TR.
            The complexity of his story would really work on
            screen

            Look at Ed Herrmann - He was in his mid or early
            30's when he played
            FDR in the 70's.  Who played Eleanor?  Was it Jane
            Alexander?  - One
            only needs to get a guy that age to play TR and he
            can age him as one
            goes along.

            Chris - Tampa

            =====