Re: TR a Conservative - WAS: Dreyfuss

  • Edward J. Renehan Jr.
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 6, 2004
      I know absolutely nothing about Dreyfuss's politics
      and so can't comment there. (Also off-topic for list.)

      But from where comes the notion that TR was a
      conservative? Are we talking about the same guy? The
      trust-busting friend of Labor? The conservationist?
      The Square Dealer and New Nationalist? The man REAL
      conservatives like Mark Hanna were so profoundly
      unhappy to see gain the White House? The man who
      campaigned for the presidency in 1912 PRECISELY
      BECAUSE his hand-picked successor, Taft, had spent the
      previous four years catering to the conservative wing
      of the Republican party, ignoring Progressive
      iniatives/imperatives?

      - EJR

      --- optic1858 <optic1858@...> wrote:
      > Dreyfuss is a great actor but he is a very liberal
      > democrat. Nothing
      > wrong with that and not passing judgement - He may
      > agree with Tr on
      > conservation issues and the like but i think it
      > stops there
      > politically. He's obviously too old now to play TR.
      >

      > I really think Hollywood could benefit from the
      > right movie on TR.
      > The complexity of his story would really work on
      > screen
      >
      > Look at Ed Herrmann - He was in his mid or early
      > 30's when he played
      > FDR in the 70's. Who played Eleanor? Was it Jane
      > Alexander? - One
      > only needs to get a guy that age to play TR and he
      > can age him as one
      > goes along.
      >
      > Chris - Tampa

      =====
      EDWARD J. RENEHAN JR.
      erenehan@...
      http://renehan.blogspot.com

      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 6, 2004
        There are those who think TR's views in his day much resemble those of
        liberal Democrats in our day. I will not pass judgment on that, but the view
        was very well expressed in the recent book The Three Roosevelts by James M.
        Burns and Susan Dunn.
        Yes, it was Jane Alexander who played Eleanor. As I pointed out
        yesterday, Richard Dreyfuss has already played TR ! And Ed Hermann was the
        narrator. I think Richard Dreyfuss's "turn" as TR on TR; An American Lion
        probably met/fulfilled his longstanding desire to play TR. He agrees he is
        too old to appear on screen as TR now. He told me so.
        By the way, I think Kathy Bates can play almost anyone, as is true
        of most brilliant actors and actresses.
        John Gable in Oyster Bay
        > Dreyfuss is a great actor but he is a very liberal democrat. Nothing
        > wrong with that and not passing judgement - He may agree with Tr on
        > conservation issues and the like but i think it stops there
        > politically. He's obviously too old now to play TR.
        >
        > I really think Hollywood could benefit from the right movie on TR.
        > The complexity of his story would really work on screen
        >
        > Look at Ed Herrmann - He was in his mid or early 30's when he played
        > FDR in the 70's. Who played Eleanor? Was it Jane Alexander? - One
        > only needs to get a guy that age to play TR and he can age him as one
        > goes along.
        >
        > Chris - Tampa

        > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • optic1858
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 6, 2004
          True points on Roosevelt and the progressive policies, no doubt. I
          agree with both of you. But, i don't think Dreyfuss and Roosevelt
          see eye to eye on the issue of gun-control, and i don't think
          Roosevelt would see eye to eye on Dreyfuss' position against
          Reagan's policies in Central America in the 80's etc. Long arugment
          on that (neither right or wrong or in scope out of scope). But, you
          are both right - Roosevelt was progressive on so many issues.

          I had a chance to downplay from the internet - Some of Roosevelt's
          speeches - I heard his voice recently ..."DEEEE-Lighted " and they
          way he pronounced "I"- AAYYYYYYY-EEEEE. FUnny stuff. Indeed.

          Chris - Tampa Bay.....

        • JackyRed@aol.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 6, 2004
            In a message dated 1/6/2004 11:45:05 AM Eastern Standard Time, TRA_Gable@... writes:
            By the way, I think Kathy Bates can play almost anyone, as is true
            of most brilliant actors and actresses.
            Well said!  Kathy Bates is fantastic.  Although it may be difficult to look past her psychotic role in Mysery, that is the mark of a good actor.  As for the political leanings of anyone who plays TR, I don't care - as long as they do a good job portraying TR.
          • Michael Cawelti
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 7, 2004
              Ed brings up an interesting phenomena.  TR seems to have been enough of an all encompassing politician to garner support and/or dislike from both sides.  Today's Liberals claim him as the political father of Conservation and champion of the common man.  Yet in many Western venues in which I portray him,  he is seen as a Conservative icon (and those same people can't stand FDR for his progressivism!).

              I suppose it is difficult for modern folk to reconcile the passionate Naturalist with the avid Hunter & and the determined Social Reformer with enthusiastic Jingo...  So, they just choose the bits they like and claim him for their's.

              Michael Cawelti

              --- optic1858 <optic1858@...> wrote:

[...]

              To visit your group on the web, go to:

               http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/