Re: [tr-m] TV and Hollywood connections to the Roosevelts

    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 5, 2004
      I wonder if the sender of this message would identify himself or herself.
      It's just nice to know who one is talking to, or hearing from.
      J. Gable
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 5, 2004
        I think it may have been Eric Severeid who did that interview on Sixty
        Minutes with Mrs. L, and I am sure it was on before 1970. Severeid was a
        good friend of hers. Would be nice to have a tape of that, and neither the
        TR Association or Harvard have one. I don't know about the Teague tapes ,
        and we should look into that.
        Richard Dreyfuss HAS ALREADY PLAYED TR, as was discussed in the last two
        issues of the TRA Journal.
        Dreyfuss was TR's voice (he did not appear visually) on TR: An American
        Lion, on The History Channel in 2003, and he did a fine job. He had always
        wanted to play TR, and thought of playing TR at different ages as he himself
        got older, he told me, until it was too late in terms of his own age. But he
        could still do the voice, and he really was super. Edward Hermann was the
        narrator. The TR you saw on the screen, when it was not really a film or
        picture of TR, was a bunch of actors and impersonators, two of these being
        James Foote, the noted impersonator of TR, and Jonathan Roosevelt, Jr., who
        was TR in the Assembly and out West.
        Sidney Blackmer played TR in the movies more than once. Remember him
        from Rosemary's Baby ?
        There have been at least two screenplays done on TR in Brazil with
        Kermit in 1914. Neither found a buyer in Hollywood. Morris's script was
        optioned several times, but the would-be producer never found the money or
        backers or interest.
        Tom Berenger originally was not going to be TR. Stephen Lang, who was in
        "Gettysburg," was to be TR. But then Berenger, who paid for the movie,
        decided to do it. He wore a prosthesis, false teeth enhancements, for the
        role. The woman who played Edith Roosevelt was absolutely dreadful. Yes,
        you did see some real Indians in that film as Rough Riders. The movie had
        some merit and fun and spirit to it, but John Milius, director of The Wind
        and the Lion, puts in that, first, Germans were fighting with the Spaniards,
        and, second, that Rough Riders simply murdered their German prisoners ! If
        only he had not been the director, the film would have been much better. He
        also had US troops killing Germans in Wind and the Lion in Morocco, entirely
        bogus of course.
        But Brian Keith was good physically as TR in that Milius film Wind and
        the Lion. It's just that the falsifications of history in that movie came
        fast and furious.
        John Gable in Oyster Bay

      • sherryj@u.arizona.edu
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 6, 2004
          > But Brian Keith was good physically as TR in that Milius film Wind
          > and
          > the Lion. It's just that the falsifications of history in that movie
          > came fast and furious.

          I like Brian Keith and could sort of picture him acting as TR.

          If I may project, I think the problem "optic" has with the various actors
          mentioned previously is in being overly aware of other roles they had
          played. With such a well-known face as TR's, it takes a lot of faith to toss
          aside ingrained stuff and try to absorb what you're seeing on the screen. A
          good, honest movie and good acting ability can go a long, long way in
          overiding all the preconceptions but how often does a good movie come
          along? I saw that latest version of Titantic over the holidays and can now
          understand the addicting appeal it has for some people I know that have
          seen it over and over, but was disappointed in its lost opportunities. And,
          by the way, I could not mentally accept the "Misery" wacko as the
          Unsinkable Molly Brown, no way! :-)