Re: [tr-m] Fw: Re: American Republicans 'overwhelmingly' against warin 1940

  • Robert Kuniegel
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 30, 2000
      Joseph Adamczyk wrote in part:

      > I will say that a good argument could be made for a different outcome to the
      > war had TR been President. Either he would have forced the US into the war
      > much earlier bride at every wedding, corpse at every funeral kind of thing -
      > can you imagine a war of that size _without_ TR getting into it?), or,
      > alternatively, his personal beligerency would have kept the Germans from
      > taking the kinds of actions that eventually did force Wilson into the war.

      ********

      Mary Beth Smith wrote in part:

      Some historians, including David McCullough, believe that if TR had been
      President instead of Wilson, WWI would have been prevented.
      **********
      TR list members,

      It is always nice to see activity on these list servers. I tend to agree with
      the broader statement of Mary Beth than the more restrictive two scenario
      outcome of Joseph. After reading Bishop's documentation of the secret
      negotiation that TR conducted with Germany and Spain I got the feeling he
      overted WWI when he was president. Combine this with the way he was received by
      all the countries after he left the presidency and it seems to me that on a
      personal level with the European Leaders he could have had unlimited ways to
      overt war. Plus if WWI was overted WWII may never have happened. The theft of
      the 1912 Republican nomination by Taft was very costly. "Thou shall not Steal
      elections" or there is a price to pay. I wonder what price we are paying today
      by having elections stolen by people elected to office using power verses
      honesty?

    • Henry Hendrix
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 30, 2000
        List members,
        I must say that, although I am a huge Theodore Roosevelt admirer, and
        although I subscriber to the "individuals make history" vice the "history
        makes individuals" school of thought, I believe it is a massive overstretch
        to believe that TR could have personally averted WWI.
        A careful review of the documentation surrounding the events leading up
        to World War I demonstrate not only an institutional intent by numerous
        actors (German General Staff, British Admiralty, Austro-Hungarian Empire) to
        bring about the conflict. That they underestimated the conflict's size and
        its brutality is true, but the intent was very clearly there to maximize
        their influence.
        TR was widely respected in European circles. His work in the
        Russo-Japanese war conference, and numerous other crises had earned him a
        special place in negotiations. However, his influence was over individuals,
        and WWI was very much a creation of institutions. Momentum is and was a
        powerful thing to overcome, even for a bullmoose.
        I must agree that TR would have had us participate in the war at a much
        earlier stage, and I believe we would have had a much more profound
        influence in the world over the next twenty years.
        Let me close by saying that I too enjoy this line of discussion very
        much. TR has so much to teach us yet today, if we only will ask his ghost
        the right questions.
        Very Respectfully,
        H. J. Hendrix
        LCDR, USN