Sagamore Hill and TR Birthplace visits

  • Jack
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 4, 2004
      On 12-21-03, my wife, parents, and I had the pleasure of visiting
      Sagamore Hill. Both of the young ladies we came in contact with who
      were working that day - one at the visitor's center and one in the
      house - were great! I wish I could remember their names (one I
      believe was Julie), but the in-house tour guide was exceptional in
      her knowledge of TR, his family, and the house. She answered all of
      our questions and read all of the books on the family. Impressive!
      Then on 12-23-03, other family members and I journeyed to the
      Theodore Roosevelt birthplace in Manhattan. Rudy (I believe) gave us
      our tour there and, like his counterparts at Sagamore Hill, did a
      fantastic job.
      Anyone on this list who has yet to visit either place, get to it!
      Thanks to anyone involved in making both landmarks incredibly
      enjoyable daytrips.
      One question I never thought to ask earlier: with our visits so close
      to Christmas, I was wondering why there was so little holiday decor.
      I remember that at Sagamore there was a Nast Santa picture in one of
      the upstairs rooms. But were Christmas decorations not big at that
      time period in America? Or might it be too potentially damaging to
      everything in the houses to decorate and undecorate every year? Just
      a question (or two).
      Sincerely,
      Jack Lechelt
      Columbia, SC
      jackyred@...
    • Tim Glas
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 4, 2004
        Jack:

        I'm glad to hear the trip went well; the staff (and our oustanding corps
        of volunteers) when I was there was enthusiastic, knowledgeable, and
        dedicated. Glad to see it's keeping up.

        If I recall correctly, the main reason for not decorating was a lack of
        photographs or other accounts of Sagamore Hill during the holidays.
        Hence, décor could be approximated, guessed at, or representative of the
        time, but without any means of verifying the accuracy of the same. That
        said, Sagamore Hill on 4 July is a site to behold. :)

        Cheers,
        Tim

[...]

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        To visit your group on the web, go to:

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        ---
        Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 5, 2004
          Those of us connected, in one way or another, with Sagamore Hill and TR
          Birthplace will be happy to hear of your good experiences in visiting both
          of these great sites! We will very soon have a new dimension at Sagamore
          Hill. The new Theodore Roosevelt Museum at Old Orchard will open on
          Saturday, January 24. Anyone interested in attending the gala opening event
          on Saturday afternoon should call the Theodore Roosevelt Association at
          (516) 921-6319 for information on tickets. In any case, on your next visit
          to Sagamore Hill you will be able to see a splendid new museum, located in
          the former home of Theodore Roosevelt, Junior. This museum has been years in
          the planning.
          As for Christmas decorations, the current Curator at Sagamore Hill
          believes that decorations, particularly live greens of any kind, pose
          various hazards to the interior of the house. In former years, the house
          was decorated as it was during the Roosevelt days. The Roosevelts adored
          Christmas, and observed it in festive and elaborate ways. As for TR
          Birthplace, I suppose the reason may be the same as at Sagamore Hill, but I
          do not know.
          John Gable in Oyster Bay

          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 5, 2004
            Actually, we know plenty about the observance of Christmas at both sites.
            But in the controversy over decorating for Christmas, some years back, it
            was said that we knew little about Christmas at the sites. That wasn't true
            then, and it is not true now.

            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 5, 2004
              Thanks for the kind words on the sites.

              Yes, there is a concern about putting up decorations, and basically, plastic
              just doesn't cut it.

              TR and his family did decorate:

              A ROOSEVELT FAMILY CHRISTMAS
              BY
              LINDA E. MILANO
              ASSISTANT DIRECTOR, THEODORE ROOSEVELT ASSOCIATION

              Christmas was an occasion of literally delirious joy. In the evening we
              hung up our stockings - or rather the biggest stockings we could borrow from
              the grown-ups - and before dawn we trooped in to open them while sitting on
              father's and mother's bed; and the bigger presents were arranged, those for
              each child on its own table, in the drawing-room, the doors to which were
              thrown open after breakfast. I never knew any one else have what seemed to
              me such attractive Christmases, and in the next generation I tried to
              reproduce them exactly for my own children.
              The Autobiography of Theodore Roosevelt
              Da Capo Facsimile Edition, page 7

              In his autobiography, Theodore Roosevelt remembered the almost insupportable
              happiness of those childhood Christmas festivals and reproduced them, as
              exactly as possible, for his own children. The Roosevelt Christmases at
              Sagamore Hill were spent huddled about the fire. TR would go into the woods
              with Ted, Jr. to find the finest tree which would be placed in the Gun Room,
              where the presents were kept wrapped until after Christmas breakfast. The
              house was cold and the children and Edith would wrap themselves in heavy
              shawls while TR would bring out an old brocade jacket saved just for
              holidays. On Christmas Eve, the family would take the wood-sled to the
              little frame Christ Episcopal Church to sing carols. Years later, the
              children would fondly remember a hymn which began "It's Christmas Eve on the
              river, it's Christmas Eve on the bay," which seemed to be written just for
              their Sagamore Hill, and which is still sung at Christ Church on Christmas
              Eve. TR himself thought it was written for Oyster Bay until he heard of it
              being sung in Michigan and Denver, Colorado.

              Christmas Day would begin with the children coming into their parent's
              bedroom, where their Christmas stockings were hung (either from the mantel
              on the fireplace or tied to the footboard of the bed). After the stockings
              were gone through, the whole family would go downstairs together for
              breakfast, and then up to the Gun Room to open gifts. Each child's gifts
              were placed on his or her own table, in much the same way that Theodore had
              received his as a child. During Christmas 1891, right after Kermit had
              turned two years old, he was startled when all his gifts turned out to be
              squeaky toys - everything he touched on his table made strange noises at
              him.

              It was on Christmas morning that Clara Doll made her yearly appearance.
              Clara had been Mrs. Roosevelt's doll when she was young, and appeared near
              the tree Christmas morning - only to disappear again for another year.
              Clara Doll still lives at Sagamore Hill, occupying a place of honor in the
              crib located in the Gate Room.

              During the Christmas season, the Roosevelts did not forget that it was the
              season of giving. TR himself would fill in for Santa Claus, so to speak, at
              the Cove School, handing out presents that he and Mrs. Roosevelt had bought
              for the students. The only year TR missed this opportunity was in 1918,
              while he was hospitalized shortly before his death. His son Archie, home on
              disability from World War I, took his place. After TR's death, Edith
              Roosevelt continued the tradition, often consulting with the teacher to
              determine the most appropriate gifts for the individual students. TR, when
              he visited the Cove Neck School, often referred to the children as "my
              little oysters."

              When the Roosevelts occupied the White House, they would leave the Secret
              Service aghast by insisting on decorating the tree with old fashioned
              lighted tapers. They would see an enactment of "A Christmas Carol" in the
              evening and, never forgetting the religious meaning, they would attend
              church on Christmas.

              Best wishes from Oyster Bay,

              Linda E. Milano
              Assistant Director (516) 921-6319
              Theodore Roosevelt Association Fax: (516) 921-6481
              P.O. Box 719 E-Mail: TRA_Milano@...
              Oyster Bay, NY 11771-0719 web: www.theodoreroosevelt.org