Questions

  • JackyRed@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 8, 2003
      Hello all,
      I am brand new to the group and I'm excited about learning a bit about the great TR.  My wife and I currently live in Columbia, SC, but we were both born and raised in central Jersey.  We are going home for the holidays in two weeks and we have planned a trip to Sagamore Hill and TR's birthplace in NYC.  Our options for Sagamore Hill are Sun and Wed before Christmas: any recommendations for which is the better day?  Any tips on what times to get there?
      Other questions:
      1) I am trying to track down what looks like an interesting article about TR.  I am currently reading Edmund Morris's "The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt," which is the greatest book I have ever read.  However, in one of Morris's endnotes (page 757 of the Ballantine Books paperback edition, which is the notes section - and the note in question is #89 for the prologue), he mentions a 1959 article by John M. Blum in the Michigan Quarterly Review.  The article sounds really interesting and is a "modern assessment of TR's mind."  The problem is that I checked in the University of South Carolina's (I'm currently a grad student there) online library catalogue and the first volume of MQR was in 1962.  Anyone by any chance know when the article was published?  I think it would be fascinating.
      2) Morris offers an excellent discussion of how TR was probably more influential on Mahan's theory of naval power than the other way around (p. 574), which appears to have been the normally accepted view.  Another book I would like to read is Zimmerman's "First Great Triumph."  One of the reviews mentions how Zimmerman focuses on Mahan's influence, which sounds like what Morris was arguing against.  I don't know because I have yet to read it.  Has anyone else out there read the Zimmerman book?  Do you recommend it?  Does he address Morris's point?  Any good tidbits there?

      Anyhoo, I suppose that is enough for a first-time post.  Feel free to email me directly or via the post.  I look forward to hearing from you all.
      Sincerely,
      Jack Lechelt
    • TRA
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 8, 2003
        Hi, welcome to the TR list!

        As far as your "visit" questions - the Wednesday before Christmas is the 24th, a/k/a Christmas Eve.  Might not be the optimal day for a visit to Sagamore Hill (SAHI) .  The Sunday before is good - and the best time to get there is before noon (sorry about that).  Tours are limited in size and are booked on a first come/first served basis, so that there are times that all the tours are sold out by the early afternoon.

        The TR Birthplace (TRB) is closed on Sundays and Mondays.

        As far as the John Morton Blum question - that's a poser.  It's p. 757, Note #89 in the first paperback edition, and p. 792, Note #85 in the most recent, revised edition.  Both notes are identical, so if it's a typo, it was carried over.  If no one has an answer, we can always contact Prof. Blum himself.  Or Edmund Morris.

        As far as the Warren Zimmerman book, I've got it, but I'm embarrassed to admit that it's still sitting in my "to be read" pile.  I know there are others on the list who have not only read it, but reviewed it also.  I'm sure they would be more than happy to debate it with you...

        Best wishes from Oyster Bay,

        Linda E. Milano
        Assistant Director                        (516) 921-6319
        Theodore Roosevelt Association       Fax:  (516) 921-6481
        P.O. Box 719                              E-Mail:  TRA_Milano@...
        Oyster Bay, NY 11771-0719              web:  www.theodoreroosevelt.org