A Sign in a London Pub

    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 9, 2003
      Message
                         Signs of the Times
       Fr. Ralph Peterson, interim rector of Christ Church (  TR's church) in Oyster Bay, found this sign in a pub in London about a week ago. The pub is down the road from Lambeth Palace.  The picture was sent to me by Dr. Stuart Keill, a warden at Christ Church, who was in the UK with Fr. Peterson for a meeting at Lambeth Palace.
           The quotation in the sign is, of course, from Lincoln's Gettysburg Address, and it's hard to understand how London could forget who was President of the US during World War II.
            Surely this sign is both funny and tragic, and certainly enough to drive me to drink!  I guess the Theodore Roosevelt Association and the Franklin and Eleanor Roosevelt Institute as well as the Roosevelt Study Center in Europe still have much work to do.
                         John Gable
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 10, 2003
        > I guess the Theodore Roosevelt
        > Association and the Franklin and Eleanor Roosevelt Institute as
        > well as the Roosevelt Study Center in Europe still have much
        > work to do.

        I do believe there is just a lot of "stuff" out there vying for everyone's
        attention. It's reassuring to realize that the majority is not TOTALLY
        interested in all that "stuff" but, still, there's a lot of it to compete against
        when trying to get anyone's attention. Also, a body can't get as far on a
        dollar these days as before so many learned so many angles that they
        know about today.

        I would like to think that the Londoners went through such a time that they
        were not exactly thinking straight. And the signmaker, too. But all in all,
        it's the thought that counts.

        There has been a local billboard up since September 2001 that has a
        Churchill quote saying something like "Nothing short of Victory". I know
        I've mangled it because that is not even a sentence, but I like seeing it
        every once in a while when I'm driving where it is located. I can't believe
        they've left it up for so long but I'm really really glad they have. But they
        really should make the sign in London accurate, I think.