RE: [tr-m] TR Study Group

  • mrmoose@pol.net
    Message 1 of 15 , Sep 30, 2003
      That's funny: I was just thinking of suggesting that, every several
      months, a group could get together in NYC or Long Island, by Oyster Bay,
      to discuss one of various books such as those reviewed in this month's TRA
      Journal, some of which appear to be wonderful books (except for the "Don't
      Bother with This Book" recommendation.)
      Of course, we have John Gable to moderate over here!

      Maybe we should pick one book a month, with a moderator, & anyone who
      wants to can join the discussion here. This way, one could either read
      the book or not, either way benefittimg from the discussion. Any specific
      ideas?

      Linda Shookster

    • sherryj@u.arizona.edu
      Message 2 of 15 , Oct 1, 2003
        > Maybe we should pick one book a month, with a moderator, & anyone who
        > wants to can join the discussion here. This way, one could either
        > read the book or not, either way benefitting from the discussion.

        That sounds good to me -- I'm not sure I would be able to keep up with one a
        month but it would be a good goal to aim for and, like you said, even if I weren't
        able to, I would benefit from the discussion amongst those that do. I predict I
        would get bogged down with all the names and far-reaching geneolgies (sp), trying
        to form a picture in my mind of who is related to who and by what relation each
        one mentioned is related to all the others.

        The thing about Fear God and Take Your Responsibility -- is that a book that TR
        wrote? I know, I know, I need to visit the web site more than once a year. :-)

        I really enjoyed the recent information about TR's "library" that was donated to
        Harvard (if I recall that fact correctly).

        Sherry
      • Tim.Glas@Speakeasy.net
        Message 3 of 15 , Oct 1, 2003
          Yes, "Fear God, and Take your own Part" is a book by TR that is composed of essays on the US responsibility to act in WWI. It's fascinatingly relevant.

          My apologies for not specifying.

          Message 4 of 15 , Oct 1, 2003
            The title of this book is taken from George Borrows. Who ? The author of
            those books in the Pigskin Library and a favorite author of Edith and TR.
            There is much about war in this book, but, you know, there is more about
            religion in this book than there is in most of TR's books.
            John Gable
            > Yes, "Fear God, and Take your own Part" is a book by TR that is composed
            of essays on the US responsibility to act in WWI. It's fascinatingly
            relevant.

            > My apologies for not specifying.

          • Ken Messina
            Message 5 of 15 , Oct 2, 2003
              I was hoping to have the study group meet face to face. That way would
              greatly enhance the flow of information.

              Is there no one out there in Boston, NH or Maine?

              Ken Messina

              Message 6 of 15 , Oct 2, 2003
                I'm sure there must be a reading club in my town -- I'll check it out and see what it
                takes to join. If everything goes according to the way I would LIKE it to go, I'd be
                glad to summarize TR discussions here, with names changed to protect the non-
                internet members. :-)

              • Tim.Glas@Speakeasy.net
                Message 7 of 15 , Oct 2, 2003

                  Message 8 of 15 , Oct 2, 2003
                    Yes, as Tim Glas suggests, TRA chapters would be logical sponsors,
                    organizers of such book groups. There are currently chapters in Long
                    Island, the DC area, New England (Boston area mostly), Texas (mostly
                    Dallas area), and Tennessee (Nashville). A chapter will soon be started in
                    Atlanta.
                    John Gable

                    Message 9 of 15 , Oct 2, 2003
                      John,

                      That obviously makes sense.

                      Do you know how I could contact the head of the New England Chapter?

                      Regards,

                    • RoginaJ@cs.com
                      Message 10 of 15 , Oct 2, 2003
                        I wonder if we could add a discussion of a book to the Annual Meeting (maybe not this year as the time is very close).  Perhaps a Sunday morning thing for a couple of hours.

                        Rogina
                        Message 11 of 15 , Oct 2, 2003
                          This year at the Annual Meeting we are having an awesome seminar on TR collecting, led by Greg Wynn, on Friday, October 24, at 3: 30 PM, Roosevelt Hotel, Manhattan. Several noted TR collectors will speak  about their collections and show artifacts from their collections. The emphasis will be on books. On Sunday morning, October 26 we have an optional tour of the American Museum of Natural History.
                                          Maybe next year we could have a book discussion. Speakers will include Char Miller and W. W. Brands out in Oregon.
                                                   John Gable
                          I wonder if we could add a discussion of a book to the Annual Meeting (maybe not this year as the time is very close).  Perhaps a Sunday morning thing for a couple of hours.

                          Rogina

                        • Robert Fairbairn
                          Message 12 of 15 , Oct 7, 2003
                            Count me in, I live in a Metro-Boston, Medford to be
                            exact.

                            Rob

                            http://shopping.yahoo.com
                          • Ken Messina
                            Message 13 of 15 , Oct 21, 2003
                              Rob,

                              So far we are the only local individuals who have expressed interest.

                              Are you planning to attend Kathleen Dalton's talk on TR and Henry Cabot
                              Lodge on November 13th? If so, perhaps we can talk about the study
                              group/maybe enlist some interested poeple then.

                              Let me know.

                              Best regards,

                              Ken Messina
                              kenmessina@...