"Bully Pulpit" book title

  • E. Summer
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 27, 2003
      Although Great Van Susteren's new book has "Bully Pulpit" in the title, it
      turns out that she has virtually no knowledge of TR. At a book promotion on
      Wednesday evening, I was able to ask her directly and she only smiled
      vaguely. It turns out that on questioning her co-author Elaine Lafferty,
      currently editor of Ms. Magazine, that the title of the book was not their
      idea, but rather that of the editor's wife!

      I suggested to Ms. Lafferty that TR's opinions about women's rights might
      make a good article and that Sylvia Morris would be an interesting author.

      We'll see what, if anything, either of them do about this.

      Regards to all.

      E. S.
    • mrmoose@pol.net
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 28, 2003
        So this brings up the question of how the phrase "Bully Pulpit" originated
        & what it means! I've been wondering about this recently, anyhow. Did TR
        coin this expression? I assume the term means that a person uses their
        public image to expound their views.

        If "bully pulpit" is just a general term, then anyone can use it
        independently of TR. If the term implies an explicit connection with
        TR's views, then there is a big problem here!

        Linda Shookster

        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 28, 2003
          TR originated the term for sure. The Presidency, he said, was a bully
          pulpit, meaning a very good platform from which to preach. The term is
          always attributed to TR, and of course is in common use. "Bully" is
          associated with TR, meaning "very good."

          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 28, 2003
            My impression was that it was coined "about" or "around" TR, but, indeed,
            it would be good to know the real story, and I'm sure (or hoping) that it
            will be told by someone shortly.

            ES

            PS...
            Obviously, I misspelled Greta (as Great) in my original email. Sorry. It
            wasn't intended as my opinion of her, just a typo.

            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 29, 2003
              "Bully pulpit" is absolutely and without question a description of the
              Presidency and White House coined by Theodore Roosevelt. He is quoted as
              saying that in a magazine article when he was President, and then George
              Haven Putnam , the publisher, recalled vividly that TR used the term. He
              quoted TR in a speech in 1919 and later in an essay that appears in the
              National Edition of the Works of TR, and since the 1920s the term has been
              widely quoted, frequently with direct attribution to TR. Putnam said at The
              Century Club in 1919:" Our friend thought of himself as a preacher, and he
              was always looking for a pulpit. He said to me once during his presidential
              term: 'Haven, the White House is a bully
              pulpit.' " So this is one of the many phrases/terms that TR coined or
              circulated, including "square deal," "good to the last drop," "weasel
              words," "speak softly but carry a big stick," etc.

            • mrmoose@pol.net
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 1, 2003
                Indeed, TR was a better preacher than many who held that title (and I've
                heard many preachers of different denominations!)

                The term "bully pulpit" hasn't been trademarked, however, so I assume that
                Greta may use this term as a title for her book without any problem. It
                would be appropriate, however, that someone familiar with the origins of
                the book title, after reading the book, either write a letter to Greta or
                write an editorial comment regarding the usage of the term "Bully Pulpit."

                Linda Shookster

                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 1, 2003
                  The point, simply, about Mrs.Van Susteren's book title was that it was NOT
                  a title that she or her co-author chose.

                  Obviously, I went to her talk expecting some remarks about her "spiritual
                  connections" with TR, only to discover that neither she nor the new
                  editor-in-chief of MS. Magazine knew anything at all about TR, his views,
                  or his extraordinary wife other than that he was "an interesting person."

                  Given that Edmond Morris won a Pulitzer with his book on TR, it's not
                  inappropriate for two other very public, news gathering figures to be
                  better acquainted with this "interesting person."

                  E. S.