TR Island: was TR's dislike of Jefferson

  • Jim Wiedman
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 14, 2003
      Theodore Roosevelt Island is somewhat outside of the main tourist areas
      of DC, but I have always
      found it a fitting tribute to TR. It is the largest area of any of the
      memorials (if you count the whole
      Island) ; it encourages visitors to enjoy nature; it is a quite respite
      from the city and it takes some
      gumption to get out and see it.

      I think TR would be proud.

      BrotherPres@... wrote:

      > There is Theodore Roosevelt Island, and on the island a statue of TR,
      > but it is out of the main thoroughfare for tourists (i.e. Washington
      > Monument, Lincoln, Jefferson, FDR, Vietnam, Korean War, Smithsonian,
      > etc.).
    • Tim Glas
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 14, 2003
        Message
        And all the more fitting that it is, actually.  I felt at first that TR had been jilted by its location, but for our first major Conservation President, for the hunter, for the outdoorsman, well it's one of my favorite presidential sites in DC.  I highly reccomend the swamp walk to anyone with an hour or two to get away from it all in the middle of the city.  Especially on a day as lovely as today.  I believe there is also the Theodore Roosevelt Trail in Rock Creek Park (where he used to take diplomats, aides and friends on his infamous point-to-point walks) near the NPS Rock Creek Nature Center.
        There is Theodore Roosevelt Island, and on the island a statue of TR, but it is out of the main thoroughfare for tourists (i.e. Washington Monument, Lincoln, Jefferson, FDR, Vietnam, Korean War, Smithsonian, etc.).

        ---
        Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.