Re: [tr-m] Young TR/ Young Edith

  • mrmoose@pol.net
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 1, 2003
      I almost finished Sylvia Jukes Morris' biography of Edith, and I have
      given that particular matter a lot of thought. It is clear that Edith was
      the quintessential Victorian gentlewoman: she didn't like to give out
      information about her private life. I'm sure neither she nor Theodore
      ever told anyone the specific details of the quarrel. She would probably
      DIE if she ever saw a copy of People's Magazine!!!

      Apparently, Theodore had already proposed marriage to Edith, perhaps more
      than once. Edith's only remark recorded about the quarrel, written in a
      memoir by Corinne Robinson's daughter, was that Theodore had "not been
      nice." I gather he probably made some sort of pass, probably modest by
      our standards, but not considered so by Edith, who was not a person who
      liked a lot of touching.

      As John said, we will never know! But things turned out alright in the end.

      Linda