Re: [tr-m] Young TR/ Young Edith

    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 1 2:53 PM
      Nobody will ever know, what they quarreled about, Vince. His sisters saw the
      quarrel from afar, but couldn't hear anything. TR and Edith made later
      reference to the quarrel, but never gave any specifics.
      So you can speculate but not know the answer.
      John in Oyster Bay
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 1 7:46 PM
        I am dissapointed to not know about the quarrel - I was curious too - oh WHERE
        was the 'People Magazine' of the day? But I must say that it just goes to
        show that TR was ever the TRUE gentleman, and it is clear that he did not kiss
        and tell!

        T.

      • mrmoose@pol.net
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 1 9:25 PM
          I almost finished Sylvia Jukes Morris' biography of Edith, and I have
          given that particular matter a lot of thought. It is clear that Edith was
          the quintessential Victorian gentlewoman: she didn't like to give out
          information about her private life. I'm sure neither she nor Theodore
          ever told anyone the specific details of the quarrel. She would probably
          DIE if she ever saw a copy of People's Magazine!!!

          Apparently, Theodore had already proposed marriage to Edith, perhaps more
          than once. Edith's only remark recorded about the quarrel, written in a
          memoir by Corinne Robinson's daughter, was that Theodore had "not been
          nice." I gather he probably made some sort of pass, probably modest by
          our standards, but not considered so by Edith, who was not a person who
          liked a lot of touching.

          As John said, we will never know! But things turned out alright in the end.

          Linda