Young TR/ Young Edith

  • Vince Liberto
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 30, 2003
      Does anyone know what really happened to TR and
      Edith when they were both very young and both had
      the big argument, and then did not talk for a
      long time. You know, the famous argument. What
      was that all about and has any information at all
      ever surfaced? Do we have reason to believe that
      the argument was of a sexual nature?
      Vince
      New Orleans

      http://sbc.yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 1, 2003
        Nobody will ever know, what they quarreled about, Vince. His sisters saw the
        quarrel from afar, but couldn't hear anything. TR and Edith made later
        reference to the quarrel, but never gave any specifics.
        So you can speculate but not know the answer.
        John in Oyster Bay

      • tbaker@pro-ns.net
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 1, 2003
          I am dissapointed to not know about the quarrel - I was curious too - oh WHERE
          was the 'People Magazine' of the day? But I must say that it just goes to
          show that TR was ever the TRUE gentleman, and it is clear that he did not kiss
          and tell!

          T.

        • mrmoose@pol.net
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 1, 2003
            I almost finished Sylvia Jukes Morris' biography of Edith, and I have
            given that particular matter a lot of thought. It is clear that Edith was
            the quintessential Victorian gentlewoman: she didn't like to give out
            information about her private life. I'm sure neither she nor Theodore
            ever told anyone the specific details of the quarrel. She would probably
            DIE if she ever saw a copy of People's Magazine!!!

            Apparently, Theodore had already proposed marriage to Edith, perhaps more
            than once. Edith's only remark recorded about the quarrel, written in a
            memoir by Corinne Robinson's daughter, was that Theodore had "not been
            nice." I gather he probably made some sort of pass, probably modest by
            our standards, but not considered so by Edith, who was not a person who
            liked a lot of touching.

            As John said, we will never know! But things turned out alright in the end.

            Linda