[tr-m] Fw: Fwd: The Teddy Fixation

  • sue p
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 1, 2000
      I was wondering if anyone caught this article in The Atlantic:
      -

      >POLITICS & PROSE | Tagging After Teddy
      >by Christopher Caldwell
      >
      >Why Teddy Roosevelt -- "an egomaniacal weirdo" -- is a hero to both
      >Republicans and Democrats.
      >http://www.theatlantic.com/unbound/polipro/pp2000-03-22.htm

      Sue
      Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
      http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.
    • FOURBEAD48@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 1, 2000
        An interesting bit of historical drivel. I'm afraid that anything Mr.
        Caldwell offered that might have even led me to believe that he was remotely
        sane was his assertion that,
        "...the Eisenhower model of sober custodianship over peace and prosperity.
        But that role has already been taken, stunningly enough, by Bill Clinton."
        Anyone capable of referring to the actions of the current president as "sober
        custodianship", has psychopathic tendencies written all over them. Pass this
        article by ... completely!

        Vin Nolan
      • Aaron Bangor
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 2, 2000
          While I find the theme of this article fascinating and one that probably
          should be explored in greater depth (not to mention an example of TR's
          diverse appeal, both as a person and a politician), when Mr. Caldwell
          switches from the journalistic aspects of the article to one of a
          historian, his writing breaks down.

          "By any scale of values that have prevailed since the Second World War,
          Teddy Roosevelt is a wretched example of an American President." What
          scale of values is that? Expand the US's influence around the world? Beat
          back totalitarianism? Make business more responsible to the consumer and
          its employees? That we have more square miles of forests now than when he
          died, not to mention more national parks and the like? There are other
          examples, and of course we, at the end of the 20th century, we have not
          totally carried on TR's convictions, but a "wretched example"? Last I
          checked, having a squeaky voice was not a character flaw and being a
          physical fitness nut is rather chic.

          Next he seeks to indict TR's personal life by stating that he "tormented"
          Elliott through much of his young life and that he must have an unstable
          psyche since he went back to the New York Assembly two days after his wife
          and mother died. While I've only read biographies of TR and so this may
          have been covered up, about the only mean things he ever did to Elliott was
          lock him away for being a drunk and disgracing the family. Perhaps in our
          age the concept of having a reputable name and doing one's duty is passe,
          but I don't know that it makes us question a person's sanity.

          Mr. Caldwell finally does make a valid point about TR's racial
          views. While I doubt TR was a racist per se, in today's sensitized
          climate, his views would not be acceptable and would be a bad example to
          have in the White House to represent all Americans. However, the writer
          overlooks the issue of hyphenated Americanism has interesting parallels in
          today's debate over affirmative action.

          But the writer steps into it again by stating "His Administration's foreign
          policy was passive ... the Panama Canal was its only achievement...." I
          guess I don't need to reiterate TR's foreign policy achievements here
          (Treaty of Portsmouth), but I'm sure that William Tilchin, at the least,
          would quarrel with this statement.

          Finally, the writer states that Bill Clinton is the inheritor of the mantle
          of presiding over peace and prosperity, yet in his closing paragraph he
          states that we're in a time of tumult, not unlike the turn of the last
          century. While I realize these two states of the union are not
          diametrically opposed, they do present somewhat of a clashing view of our
          times.

          This is an intriguing topic -- how both political parties are seeking to
          latch onto the legacy of a president from nearly 100 years ago. However,
          beyond the contemporary journalism displayed in this article, I find it
          rather lacking in quality analysis. I would like to see someone with more
          scholarly depth on the subject address it, rather than a journalist with a
          skewed view of history.

          Aaron Bangor