New TR Book

  • v_liberto
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 3, 2003
      I was in the public library today, and I saw on the shelf a book by
      Matt Donnelly entitled THEODORE ROOSEVELT: LARGER THAN LIFE.
      I screamed and thought,"Wow! He IS everywhere."
      I checked the book out at the desk, but does anyone have a feel for
      or a review of this tome yet?
      The copyright is 2003 and it has just been released. The front design
      looks like a textbook (not really that attractive).

      I would appreciate any inside information or any insight anyone has
      on this book.
      Gratefully,
      Vince Liberto
      New Orleans

      P.S. I was in Milwaukee two weeks ago, and though I was not able to
      see it, there was that one-man-show on TR. A CENTURY LATER AND HE IS
      STILL EVERYWHERE, while down here in New Orleans I don't hear too
      much of wild Bill or his ambitious blonde counterpart, and it's only
      been a few years.
    • Andreas Gauf
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 4, 2003
        Hi there,

        amazon.com has the following on its website regarding
        the book discovered by Vince. It is obviously a book
        addressed to students.

        Regards,
        Andreas

        From School Library Journal
        Grade 7-10-This utilitarian
        biography compiles several interesting and
        entertaining stories from Roosevelt's life, but comes
        across as
        somewhat disjointed as the
        narrative jumps from one episode to another. It is
        enlightening on Roosevelt's pre-presidential days,
        with insights
        into his time ranching in the
        West and his work with the Civil Service and as Police
        Commissioner of New York City. His rise to the
        presidency is traced through his
        sometimes-turbulent relationship with his own
        political party. Although the author clearly admires
        his subject,
        he does allow some flaws to show,
        such as the typical sexism and racism of the age.
        Black-and-white photos enhance the text with images
        of Roosevelt's world and the
        people in his life, and sources are well documented in
        12 pages of footnotes. Milton Meltzer's Theodore
        Roosevelt and His America (Watts,
        1994) is similar in reading level and scope and more
        fluidly written. Lois Markham's Theodore Roosevelt
        (Chelsea, 1985) is briefer but
        more profusely illustrated, while Michael A. Schuman's
        Theodore Roosevelt (Enslow, 1997) is easier to read.
        Overall, Donnelly's book is a
        good addition for libraries that need more on the man
        or that are overwhelmed by students reporting on
        presidents.
        Jeffrey A. French, Euclid Public
        Library, OH
        Copyright 2003 Reed Business
        Information, Inc.

        From Booklist
        Gr. 6-9. In this biographical
        account of the twenty-sixth president, Donnelly offers
        a sense of what he calls "Roosevelt's high-octane
        personality" as well as his
        childhood, youth, goals, careers, and achievements.
        Readers will learn about Roosevelt's weaknesses and
        mistakes
        as well as the strengths and
        successes of this unique individual, who became
        president as a result of McKinley's assassination and
        went on
        to gain a place on Mount
        Rushmore. A chronology precedes the introduction;
        following...

        --- v_liberto <v_liberto@...> schrieb: > I was
        in the public library today, and I saw on the
        > shelf a book by
        > Matt Donnelly entitled THEODORE ROOSEVELT: LARGER
        > THAN LIFE.
        > I screamed and thought,"Wow! He IS everywhere."
        > I checked the book out at the desk, but does anyone
        > have a feel for
        > or a review of this tome yet?
        > The copyright is 2003 and it has just been released.
        > The front design
        > looks like a textbook (not really that attractive).
        >
        > I would appreciate any inside information or any
        > insight anyone has
        > on this book.
        > Gratefully,
        > Vince Liberto
        > New Orleans
        >
        > P.S. I was in Milwaukee two weeks ago, and though I
        > was not able to
        > see it, there was that one-man-show on TR. A CENTURY
        > LATER AND HE IS
        > STILL EVERYWHERE, while down here in New Orleans I
        > don't hear too
        > much of wild Bill or his ambitious blonde
        > counterpart, and it's only
        > been a few years.

        =====
        Visit my website at http://de.geocities.com/andreas_gauf

        Logos und Klingeltöne fürs Handy bei http://sms.yahoo.de
      • Vince Liberto
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 4, 2003
          Many thanks, Andreas, for showing me this. Much
          appreciated.
          It may be for young students, but I must say that
          almost every famous photo of TR is in this
          volume. Even more sophisticated works don't have
          all that. There are timelines and it has an
          extensive bibliography section, with all the
          great works in it.
          Vince
          New Orleans

          http://calendar.yahoo.com