"THE MAN IN THE ARENA"

  • v_liberto
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 10 9:21 PM
      For my birthday my nephew bought me "THE MAN IN THE ARENA", a
      compiled collected writings of TR, put out just this year, 2003.
      I have not felt this way--like a kid at Christmas time--in so long.
      I loved it!
      It makes a great gift, with a great cover.
      I can't wait to dig in.
      I only read the opening and that alone, fired me up so much, I have
      yet to continue.
      And that was yesterday.
      ALSO...After seeing it again, I'm sticking by my guns. I really still
      believe the AMERICAN EXPERIENCE version on the life of TR was so much
      better than the recent History Channel's. But don't get me wrong they
      both were incredible. I may be wacko, but it's just that the AMERICAN
      EXPERIENCE one gets me emotional. It might be the background
      music...or the writing. I have yet to figure it out.
      Anyway, if you can, buy both.
      Grateful for your TR companionship,
      Vince Liberto
      New Orleans
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 11 8:51 AM
        The book THE MAN IN THE ARENA, edited by Brian M. Thomsen, is indeed
        attractive, nice dust jacket. Unfortunately, the version of The Man in the
        Arena quotation is WRONG, the text is incorrect, the punctuation wrong.
        Daniel Boone's name is spelled "Boon" in the section taken from WINNING OF
        THE WEST. I edited a book also called THE MAN IN THE ARENA, in 1987. It
        still is on sale (third printing 1999), and it actually has the correct
        text of the speech! It also contains other TR speeches, including "The
        Strenuous Life." Sure, the title is copyrighted, but I guess publishers
        don't care about such things these days.
        The PBS TR special had a much larger budget, and I think that
        shows in the quality of the filming and in the production. The narrator, the
        late Jason Robards, was a better actor than narrator Edward Hermann. But
        Hermann did a good job, as did Richard Dreyfuss. Both are good productions.
        I love Vince's enthusiasm and spirit, and it's always good
        to hear what he has to say!
        John Gable in Oyster Bay