"Teddy the Rough Rider," (1940)

  • prosperena
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 6, 2003
      Did anyone catch this Oscar-winning short (produced by Warner
      Bros./First National) on Turner Classic Movies last night? Actor
      Sidney Blackmer apparently portrayed Theodore Roosevelt in over a
      dozen films; I first saw him in the Barbara Stanwyck/Robert Taylor
      drama, "This Is My Affair," (1937) and thought he captured TR's
      manner, speech, and gestures nicely. The comment below is taken
      directly from the Internet Movie Database, www.imdb.com
      I think it's a quite accurate assessment of the short. What I
      enjoyed about the film was its insertion of many direct TR quotes as
      part of the dramatic narrative.
      Kari E. Johnson
      Los Angeles, CA

      *****

      User Comments:

      Robert Reynolds (llltdesq@...)
      Tucson AZ

      Date: 23 August 2001

      his two-reel short won an Oscar in 1940 and is a fairly good look at
      Teddy Roosevelt and reasonably historically accurate, for Hollywood.
      Sidney Blackmer actually looks like TR (thanks to a good makeup job)
      and it suffers only slightly from melodramatic excess. The
      performances are for the most part good and it's a good example of an
      all but lost form-the 20 minute short film. Turner Classic Movies
      runs this occasionally as filler and it generally runs as part of
      their "31 Days of Oscar" feature in March. Recommended.